• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just wanna host files!! good god!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

in this constant and ongoing stuggle for me to learn how to install and maintain an FTP Server on my spare computer here... is there any site that has step by step (read i'm not very good at this networking stuff) alls i want is to be able to tell which folders, files i WANT to share, and to have it passworded... very simple or so i though.. if anyone can help i'd appreciate it!

its for cable internet, i have a lynksys 4 port router with switch.

oops sorry forgot to say that its on my 2k pro machine.

i know it needs to be accesible from the net outside my lan here.. so i'll need to know the IP of it before i leave the house if i wanna say use it at a friends or something. how do i make it have its own ip that doesnt change? and can any browser d/l from it or does each pc i'm on need an FTP client or whatever?

well lets see.... to have a ip that does not change ur inet connection will have to be static.. what isp do u have? ask them if its static

if ur runnen a ftp server then internet explore on any comp should be able to access it or for convenience they would probly be better off using cuteftp or bulletproof or the likes

hope that helped

ps... one thing thats kind through me off was that the router will assighn ip addresses to each comp on it.. there for when u look on ur computer for which what ur ip is.. it will likely tell u the lan assighned address and not ur acual inet address.. which u need to know to access from another computer

also ur router probly has a firewall built in u will have to tell it to forward traffic on port 21 [or whatever port u chose]to the lan ip address of the computer with the files.....

im also learning so hope this helps

Most cable internet providers use dhcp, which makes it a little tougher, but not impossible to do, but you need to either use a redirection service to dynamically connect to a changing ip, or use the ip address, which can change.

You'll need to use a static internal ip address on the file server, and then set the router up to forward any incoming packets on port 21 (standard ftp port) to that pc's ip.

For FTP Server software, Windows 2000 Pro also has it, although I haven't used it. There are a lot of other products out there too, depending on the os you use.

IE5.5 can do ftp transfers, and there are a load of other programs for that specifically as well.

ok now here are my problems....

i have static ip
iv set up to direct port 21 trafic to server
im running serv-u
iv created the user names/psw

nobody can connect?!!!

help

its directv dsl
winXP pro
netgear rt314

help!

hey man i have the same exact router! how did u forward ports? cause i have wanted to host servers and stuff forever and i just cant figure out a way how, is it possible to somehow open the ports up please tell me!

jajmon said:
Mr Chambers - you may want to look at this it may work for you.

yeah someone awhile ago pointed me to that site, i'm registred and everything except i still cant just figure out how to tell which files to share, or how to find out my ip before i leave the house so i can access it, how to bypass my firewall, etc etc... i think someone should make a big step by step article for dummies, cause thats what i am when it comes to this crap!

all this will solve ltmax's prob.. this is the easy way go

<url>http://192.168.0.1</url> this will bring up a settings menu and junk .. oh by the way the loggin is ADMIN password is 1234

CHANGE THE PASSWORD ASAP!!!!!!!!

any way lots of settings u want advaced then goto ports

u can telll it to direct trafic with port number XXX to the lan computer ip 192.168.0.X

also u can turn on DMZ .. which directs all trafic to the ip 192.168.0.X

this is kinda a bad thing cuz ur comp is completly exposed to every thing.. 0 hardware firewall basicly

if u want any other info about this visit netgears site thats ... there is also some info on that big installation info sheet that ccame with ur router

anyway what do u mean by ur first sentence? what u mean copy paste link that will fix it.. ?

my avatar was this below, an admin can remove it after u seen it...

Since you knew that we didn't allow it...why did you post it?

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
what link r u talking about?
i was doin some research on netgear site i found out how to thur telnet go to router bios i changed pass and i kno how to forward a port, if i forward though i should get a software firewall as well right? also if i update the firmware then i can change options in the html version of the bios right? cause i downloaded latest firmware, i had 3.2, i got 3.25 ill update it soon ill tell u when. what firmware u got?

im gonna do the firmware update in about 50 mins, one more Q, should i just DMZ? cause if i put on software firewall will it help if i have several or all the ports open?

Back