• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100% cpu usage with mouse in winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glorious100

Registered
Hi

When I hold the left mouse button with my optical intellimouse on the min, max or close button, my cpu usage goes to 100% of the program were I'm clicking on. Also right clicking on a file in explorer makes it go to 100%. Fast scrolling in IE6 does the same.
I have reinstalled the mousedrivers, done a virusscan and run ad-aware, but nothing seems to help.
What else can I do to change this?

Try the simple and obvious things first.

Plug into another USB slot for that mouse? But are you using the PS/2 adapter for it? If you are, reboot and put the old mouse back in. Reboot unplug the old PS/2 mouse put the new one on.

Try not to use the PS/2 adapter for the optical mouse. My uncle's machine it seems to cause wierd things to happen. USB is much better.

I dunno for sure, but anything is worth a shot to try out.

I have pluged it into an other usb slot, but it stays the same.
Any other suggestions?

You didn't mention which version of the IntelliPoint drivers you're using, but if the IntelliPoint driver version is older than 4.00.0657 (dated 8/22/2001)...you may want to try updating your present software. You can find the version number of your present IntelliPoint drivers by going to Device Manager | Expand "Mice and other pointing devices" | Right click "Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer (IntelliPoint)" | Select "Properties" | "Driver" tab.

You can also open "Mouse Properties", and under the "Buttons" tab...right click next to the pic of the mouse and select "About Microsft IntelliPoint" (here you'll find the "IntelliPoint version" and the "Mouse driver version". You can find the newest IntelliPoint software/drivers at the following MS site...

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp

...The English download of the file is called IP4_0EngNoMsi.exe. This updates the "Mouse driver version" to 11.40, and the "IntelliPoint driver version" to 4.00.0657 (as noted above). ;)

This is true. Try the driver update, if it does not work..then try something else. XP has support for optical mice and I am not using the latest drivers for my mouse. I am only using the standard ones that come with the instalation of the OS.

can you pinpoint a time when this began? Maybe after the installation of a program, or a minor/major change in your system configuration? If it hasn't been doing it since you first installed XP, then something else has to be the cause...

MIne has always done that. I don't think there is a work around for it.
You're talking about clicking on the X to close IE but holding it down instead right? That makes mine go to 100% as well.

The latest driver are installed, but with no effect.

Can't tell when it begon, I've just spotted it about 2 weeks ago. Maybe it was always that way.

I'm talking about hold clicking on the X, min or max button in the upper right corner of every window. It's not only with IE but every app has it. Just fast up and down scrolling in IE makes my cpu also go crazy.

Just a possibility:

The mouse isn't the problem, your ram is.
Maybe you havea faulty stick, and its not working all the way or when the mouse button is held down the call to the ram causes it to crash.

Maybe turn off the eye candy in XP. When you minimize or close something in XP, it probably puts effects on that particular window. Maybe that is what is using so much processing power. I can't see how the mouse would be using 100%. Maybe a fix will be in SP1.

Back