• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cant stand it any more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richardwalker73

To all please help me.
I have a problem with my system.
Whenever I play games they crash, usually without an error message.
The game bombs out to the desktop and looks okay or it presents an error "this application has encountered an error and needs to close" and the desktop looks all washed out and is sized wrong.
I have done a complete reinstall of XP. DX8.1, NVidia 29.42s and the bundled drivers that came with my card.
I have tried some overclocking in the past (reducing memery timings, unlocking the XP chip) with some sucess. The XP is still locked and all of the settings are at defaults (133/33 x 12 multiplier @ 2.5 CAS)
I have run DXDIAG and all of the DIRECT X 8.1 files are listed and no errors are reported.
My temperatures a good and low (CPU 43, Mobo 32 at full load).
I can run PC mark and get goos scores and it reports no errors.
Can anybody help me?
Could I have a faulty memory module?
Is my XP chip goosed due to trying to unlock?
Is direct X the problem?
My System:
XP 1.9 @ 133 X12
Asus A7V333
512 mb of Samsung 2700 RAM.
Ge Force 4 (4400, factory settings)
40 gb IBM Deskstar (60gxp)
Soundblaster Live card
Help!!?

richardwalker73 said:
Could I have a faulty memory module?

That smells right to me. Run some tests on it (www.simmtester.com) and see if your memory is up to snuff. Also, if you're running multiple sticks, try taking one out, or run them less agressively than you are.

You should also put your system back to stock if you're overclocked, and see if the problem goes away.

game problems

You could also try underclocking your video card to see if its getting too hot.

Re: game problems

Arkaine23 said:
You could also try underclocking your video card to see if its getting too hot.

YES, do the finger test (NOT in the fan ;) ) to make sure your GPU and VidRAM aren't oven-like.

The only other problem would be your RAM.

Thanks for your help guys.
Heat is not an issue in my case, plently of airflow on all components.
I will try running one stick at a time. The timings are slow at the moment anyway.
If RAM/ CPU where faulty should I be getting a normal score in PC Mark (same as others with a similar spec) because I am. No errors reported.
?????????????

richardwalker73 said:
Thanks for your help guys.
Heat is not an issue in my case, plently of airflow on all components.
I will try running one stick at a time. The timings are slow at the moment anyway.
If RAM/ CPU where faulty should I be getting a normal score in PC Mark (same as others with a similar spec) because I am. No errors reported.
?????????????

In THAT case you need to install the latest drivers for your chipset ASAP. Some people have had problems with drivers crapping out once the AGP reaches 4x transfer rates.

Re: Re: I cant stand it any more

Oni said:

That smells right to me. Run some tests on it (www.simmtester.com) and see if your memory is up to snuff. Also, if you're running multiple sticks, try taking one out, or run them less agressively than you are.

You should also put your system back to stock if you're overclocked, and see if the problem goes away.

I'd agree with Oni, check those memory sticks, because thats exactly the behaviour that happens when a stick craps out.

Thankyou all so much for your help, you guys are :cool: :cool:

It was a faulty stick of ram.Tried one stick booted ok, tried the other (in the same slot) no boot.

That is such a relief!!

Now will they take it back.........

richardwalker73 said:
That is such a relief!!

Now will they take it back......... [/B]

Is the stick still covered by warrenty, and if it is did you overclock the speed settings on the stick.. heh.. if ya did they might find out and eat you alive :rolleyes:

I'm experienced at burning things out w/o overclocking lol, they were about to give me a calling card and i almost new the techs i go to by first name bases... sad eh?

Back