• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaneda

so i download the .iso for mandrake 8.2 i have a 5gig partition on my HD and a 2gig linux swap partition also..

i setup the boot disk, put it in start up, when it goes to look for the cd, it says it cant find one... well i burned the .iso right... nothing wrong with it.. atleast i think

any clues why im having this problem??

**total n00b to linux** just remember that while posting a reply, please... :D

Can you boot directly off the CD? Ie, set the BIOS to boot CD first, and boot straight off the CD without needing to use a floppy.

David

Sounds it me that something is wrong with the cd you burned. Like David said, trying booting directly off the cd. While burning the cd, did you remember to create the cd from an image, rather than just burning the file? It could also be possible that your iso was corrupted during download. I'm not sure about Mandrake, but Red Hat installation disk allow you to do a "media check" before installing. This would verify that the iso is correct. However, you will need to be able to boot from the cd to do that, I think. Do you have any other machines you could check the cd on? If all else fails, try re-downloading and burning the cd. Good luck.

If you look at the files on the cd, and only see a .iso there, then you burned it wrong.

Try md5sum.

The site you got the iso from should let you know the md5sum of the iso. Then you need to get an md5sum program from somewhere, generate an md5sum and see if the one you get and the one on the website match.

David

i extracted the .iso then burned the files, i did not create it from the image.. thanks i will do that.

thanks,
Drew

Yea, if you just extract and burn the files inside the iso, you won't end up with anything bootable.

If you extract the files and then burn, the image won't be bootable. I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

Anyway, why do you havea 2 gig swap partition? Anything over 700MB, 1gig at most is an overkill. I have 256MB ram and 256MB swap and everything is peachy.

nvm, thanks for the help..

Last edited:
ok burned it from the image file and still having the same problemm....... saying it cant find a Mandrake Linux Instillation CD

so anyway i downloaded debian burnt it, set the bios to boot from cd and get the same thing....................................??

damnit this sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrewBoOty said:
ok burned it from the image file and still having the same problemm....... saying it cant find a Mandrake Linux Instillation CD

so anyway i downloaded debian burnt it, set the bios to boot from cd and get the same thing....................................??

damnit this sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What program are you using to burn the CDs?

David

Back