• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palomino or T-bred but wait... there's more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phugbox

I'm going to be in the market for a new cpu in the very near future, although I may just wait uuntil mid-late september for prices to drop, but still the questions remain.

#1 What is the critical difference between a palomino XP and a T-bred XP?

#2 What is the strong selling point of the Palomino?

#3 " " " " " " " " T-bred?
(the formatting I tried to use here didn't work, read "What is the strong selling point of the T-bred?")

#4 How do they compare in cost for say... a 1700 ? is there a price difference?

#5 How would an idiot tell them apart, preferably visually?

#6 What have proven to be the best, and or good steppings to get for these types of processors, and which part of the code on them identifies this?

Though I like to think I'm not an idiot or a noob, or defficient, I only have my experience with duron spitfires to go with on this one, which doesn't quite apply.

I'm asking these questions to help myself out, and any other duron owners hoping to move up in the world but don't quite know how to go about it without getting hosed.

thanks to any and all who decide to help out.
fold fold fold, and then fold some more

1) The only difference between them is the die size, the T-Bred uses the new .13 micron core and the Pally uses the older and bigger .18 micron core.

2) The recently produced Pally's OC very well, and are cheap. I have 2 XP 1600's, one on air and one on H20. The one on air does 1.85G and the one on H20 does 1.9G. And they are $65.

3) There is no strong point to the T-Breds yet, unless you MUST be over 2G on an AMD. They run VERY hot and are over $200.

4) See 3 & 4

5) The core size on the T-Bred is about 1/2 the size of the Pally, the Pally's looks square and the T-Bred is rectangle.

6) For the Pally's the best steppings are AGOIA and AROIA, this is in the first line of the code, A "Y" in the start of the Second (or is it third?) line is also very good. If you order a XP 1600 from www.newegg.com you are guaranteed one of these steppings although it is hit and miss with the "Y", I got 2 "Y's".

Back