• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to format linux off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xvi3tsoljahx

Im trying to install win98se... i will try mandrake later when i build a other rig.. this comp is just to damn slow. Windows won't install saying something about less space and i have something forgot what it said

Try booting from a boot floppy, repartition, and format. Then try the win98 disk again.

You need a dos boot disk, with fdisk on it.

Use the delete non dos partions function, to make sure that all partions are gone. Linux normaly uses about 2-3 partions.

once you have deleted them use the following command.

fdisk /mbr

This fixs the master boot record.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first post. You must use a dos boot disk, there are some available at www.bootdisk.com . Once you are booted, type fdisk and use it delete all non dos partitions. Then, create a new partition in FAT32 , if your boot disk supports it. If it says something about large disk support, and you enable it, its FAT32. You can then exit fdisk, but once your at the command promt, type fdisk /mbr, as Red Hot Machine said. This will remove the Linux bootloader. Then type format c: to format the drive. Now you should be able to install windows.

Back