• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Won't Post!! Using A7V266-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Army_Of_1

My CPU Fan was making way too much noise, so I shutdown my PC and cleaned it, put it back on and booted up. The computer wouldn't post. I rebooted numerous times and once got the bios to come up, with my XP 1800 showing the wrong settings. I changed it back to its normal settings, and it wouldn't post again. I replaced every single piece of hardware that affected the bootup (RAM, PSU, CPU) except for the motherboard. I'm using an Asus A7V266-E that had the same problem. I've tried resetting the CMOS, but that doesn't help. I have a crappy 400W PSU, and am only using about 200 of those watts. Still, could that be the problem? Hmmm... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:
Asus A7V266-E
XP 1800+ (had an extra one of these chips layin around)
2 Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR (tried one stick at a time)
GF3 TI 200 (replaced with nvidia tnt2 card)
P.O.S. CompUSA 400W (replaced with 250W P.O.S. but the 250W worked for my Celeron Board... maybe not enough power)
Another reason that leads me to believe I am having Power Woes: The system would reboot when I was OC'ed, or just shutdown programs like 3D Mark, and Counter-Strike. I never got a chance to check my PSU 5V and 12V lines, but I do remember tinkering with my mobo before I knew about them and I think they were low (.2v idle lower if i recall correctly!)

Well, you have done most of the things that I would of suggested. Does the mobo appear to have any physical damage? Is it grounded properly?

David

How did you clean your system? Compressed air?

If you used a Vacuum, then that may be your problem. Vacuums create massive static electricity (due to the friction of the vacuum motor), and that could have fried something on the motherboard.

If you can, try using each of those components on another motherboard (it looks like you have another basically identical system there that you were swapping parts out of..)

Do you get any video?

What happens when you remove everything except the processor?
you should get ram beeps. Try adding ram, you should then get video beeps.

*edit* also-- check what motherboard headder you plugged your CPU fan into.. if it's in the wrong one, and you have your bios set up correctly, it may not boot because to it, the CPU fan isn't responding.

Last edited:
All I did was take off the Heatsink/Fan and put lubricant in the fan. None of the lubricant spilled out.

I have another of the same board but it has the same problem as well :\ before I looked too far in depth, I just went ahead and purchased another board. There is no physical damage.

No I get no Video, no POST, no beeps, nothing. Let me try the adding/removing ram and I'll post results.

When you say grounded correctly what do you mean? It's inside of my case, the board is placed in on the standoff's like it should be...

When I take out the RAM, I don't get any beeps. Man This is frustrating... both boards have done this, I turn off the PC and turn it back on and it stops working! Ugh, I am thinkin about getting Abit KG7-R's ... maybe that will fix the problem? Maybe it's just the power supply? Who knows!

plleeasseeee help! I know this isn't a PC Repair shop, but I just can't afford to have it looked at for $75/hr... :(

Wait u took the Heat sink off? There might be a small possiblity that you crushed the core. You fans don't spin up at all when you press the button? Try testing with another PSU. Try removing drives. Disconnect power to all the CD roms and see if it turns on. On my old system i had a Floppy drive stop it from powering on.

It powers on, and the HSF works it just doesn't go through POST, I get no screen. Everything is getting powered properly though, I can hear the HD start clicking, it's just I get no BIOS etc...

should be 1 of 3 things. PSU, CPU, or MOBO. Since this happened only when you took out your hsf, like the guy said above, you might've damaged the cpu. For the psu, test it with a multimeter.

Im gonna help you man. :)

Ok, on your mobo, there are jumpers on the top right side of the memram slots. Now, make sure that the pins on the RIGHT SIDE are exposed, meaning that the row of 2 pins on the left are covered.

See if that is your problem.

My settings on that are correct. It worked before like I said, so the jumpers should of been configured properly... thanks for sayin that you'll help me though :)

actually, since i just thought about it, this happened to me about a month ago. I took the hsf off, tried putting a new bigger fan on, turns out the screw strached my traces on my mobo, and it wouldn't post. When you put the hsf back on, maybe it stracthed the mobo. I know you said there's no damage, but maybe take a few minutes and review over your motherboard. It could also be the cpu when you were putting on the hsf, it could of chipped the cpu or something in that nature. Just take a few minutes, take a microscope, and go on a scavenger hunt.

I did and found damage :'( I'm going to check my other motherboard that had the 'same problem.' Thanks for the help though.

Well I'm going to test my other mobo to see if clearing the CMOS helps IT, the one that I just tested is done for :\ ... the other one that I'm about to test is still under warranty which is good...

Back