• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me Get To 1.4GHz+ Again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

I'm 80% sure that my PSU is holding me back, if anyone else agree's or has some information to share with me, pleazze post :) .

Ok, before the days of my GeForce2 Ti and Dual Maxtor hard drives, I was able to attain 1.4GHz as far as I can remember but ever since a few months ago, I just cant do it again :(

I am sure that if I upgrade my 300W U.S Can PSU to like a 430W Enermax that I will hit 1.4GHz again!? no?

Whether 10.5x133 or 10x140, it didnt matter before and it shouldnt matter now.

I know one thing, I gatta bring my bloody high cpu temperatures down. They are up at near 60c when the CPU is running at max (Prime95).

My final goal with this CPU is to hit 1.43GHz (10 x 143) . I figure, if I can bring my temperatures below 50c while using 1.90V, I should be able to attain this result!

BTW, my PC boots fine and runs flawlessly at 1.75V 1400MHz although Prime95 fails at this speed.

This is painful and I'm very sure the PSU is holding me back. That is my 5V rail line is aroun 4.78~4.80v.

My Motherboard is modded to be capable of delivering 2.1Vcore so that shouldnt be an issue.

DS-Master

Last time I remember you were running temps up to 66 degrees. . . That's insane. I think it may need more voltage than 1.75v to get to 1.4gigs, however with high temps, that is just suicide. Voltage is the easiest to try. What is your rails on the PSU?

You cannot hit 1400 with a 1333CPU?

A better question for you to ask is 'Why are my tmeps so high?' Once you solve that and you cannot hit your goal, then you may be able to bump the bad PSU percentage to 90%

Or you could go buy a new PSU and if it works it works if it doesnt... well you have plenty of juice for a bunch of case fans. then your temp will drop and your o/c will rise.

Yodums said:
Last time I remember you were running temps up to 66 degrees. . . That's insane. I think it may need more voltage than 1.75v to get to 1.4gigs, however with high temps, that is just suicide. Voltage is the easiest to try. What is your rails on the PSU?

my 5V rail line is aroun 4.78~4.80v. I got the **** super ORB, which I think is safe to say now haha, and I was thinking a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ or Volcano 9

Unfortuneatly, Thermalright products are impossible to get in Edmonton unless I order online which is almost impossible for me since I dont like credit cards, never did and never will.

BTW, my CPU is a Athlon 1000c AXIA Y

I have seen this thing boot fine at 1450Mhz and run Quake3 Arena all day at 1450MHz long long ago... :(

DS-Master

Don't swear

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what,,, even thou the super orb is a crappy HSF, I think I messed it up the last time I took it off my CPU. I mean, I used to always get temperatures below 50c when running at 1333MHz 1.75V. I thought maybe that the HSF wasnt flush on the core so I tried to refit the HSF like 5 times but the temps were still high.

Now, I tried everything and my temperatures are around 60c. haha, Yes Yodums, my temps were around 70c in July, CRAZY weather we had here (almost 40c outside!) which is INSANE for Canadian weather.

DS-Master

wow, my temps are half of what yours are....i can get my 1.33 tbird up to 1.6ghz on 1.9 volts

but i have the ayhja (i think thats right)...but i can get that high overclocking fsb and no multi, or just multi...so maybe its the heat..mine runs around 33c at all times

Well, I obviously don't recomend you overclocking with a Super Orb. You should look into a better cooler immediatly, not only to reduce your temperatures to overclock but to keep the chip because those Super Orbs put huge dents in the cores of AMD some even resulted in deaths when taken on and off too much.

Just my opinion.

Yodums

go to bigfootcomputers.com, you can get the slk800, ax7 or a swifty and use this form to fill out your order so you can pay by check, certified check or money order. you can fax them the form or mail it.

They charge $35 american to ship to Canada... thats like $50 Canadian. you can get the ax7 from bigfoot for only $50 (canadian) or the slk800 for $90, both of them are better then the alpha anyway.

the slk needs a high speed fan, because its an all copper heatsink, and the ax-7 is cheap looking if you ask me. the alpha is an excellent performer, no matter what fan you put on it...and much safer than the ax-7/slk800....what happens if you break the socket clip things(forgot the real name, but you know what i mean)...heatsink falls off..burned cpu. thats not possible with the alpha...unless the entire board ripped apart...the swiftech, alpha, and ax-7 are basically equal when it comes to performance...alpha just works better with a low speed fan...which all of us like.

p.s. its 3:30 am, sorry post is so long, prolly repeated myself

RangerJoe said:
the slk needs a high speed fan, because its an all copper heatsink

Just to point out, that's not true. It needs a high speed fan to maximize cooling, but so does everything else. Because it's copper you have a higher threshold of speed before you start getting diminishing returns.

Anyway, guaranteed the problem is cooling. With your CPU running at 60C I wouldn't even boot it. Your power supply is currently not relaly showing too much strain...I'm pretty sure that my PSUs have always been around 4.75 on the 5V rail, but that has always been software monitoring, which isn't really that accurate.

Master Yodi speaks?!:D

sorry, onto the thread topic:

dont feel bad AXIA, i couldnt for the life of me get my 1.33 AYHJA Y tbird to run stable at 1.4ghz;(

option number 2:

find a computer shop, buy the biggest heatsink you can find and the most powerfull 80mm fan you can find, mod the heatsink to take a 80mm fan and put it on. It should work alot better than a super orb - untill you realise you need a copper heatsink. a how to is here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1012/

BTW, can you get coolermaster products where you are, if so look for this heatsink (the copper one) http://www.overclockers.com/articles530/

you need cooling bad. Even if the cooling isn't holding you back, you still need it, because if you leave that sucker on overnight in a closed room.... well... at least it'd give you an excuse to get an XP.

Are you using the bios to monitor those voltages?

Software monitoring shows my 12v line at 4v lol, but the BIOS shows it at 12v.

Thx guyz for all the quick replies, I could not have asked for more! :)

The Thermaltake Volcano 7+ solid copper is well within my reach and it is only $49 and comes with the fan and no shipping required! I think I'm gonna go for this one!.

As for the power supply, I will hold off for now and see if the cooling helps. I guess its off to the store for me.

Later all...

DS-Master

If I remeber correctly, lots of people were getting the 1Ghz athlons to 1.6 GHz. 60% is very good for a proc.

I agree with the other guys. You definetly need btter kooling. :D

An ax7 will suit you fine. I'd get a nice and quiet fan for yourself.
I don't think that a 50 cfm monter is not needed in your case. :cool:

Back