• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can it be slow because???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In one word, yes.

Try finding a site that is purely text (very few left) something easy for you computer to digest. You should see an increase in downloads. the more extra "fluff" it has, the more it taxes the older computers.

I gave an old 166mmx system to a friend that had nothing. On a 56k dialup id did just fine, the modem was the bottleneck with real world speeds of about 33-40K

On my network with cable internet. it wouldn't do any better than 60K while all my other computers are close to 600-1000K depending on time of day.

on anolder computer like that, more memory and less backgroung apps is your best bet.

my2cents

Get a nic that has onboard processing to take the load off the system cpu. Intel Pro S 100 would be a good one.

TC said:
Get a nic that has onboard processing to take the load off the system cpu. Intel Pro S 100 would be a good one.

yes, i agree completely. The speed of your downloading is affected by your cpu/memory.

Royal said:

yes, i agree completely. The speed of your downloading is affected by your cpu/memory.
that cant be true, but i think the more importand thing is what OS are u running???? win98 and older doesnt have a good registry setup for broadband. Their are many tweaks available to improve it. I know that on win98 the RWIN will need to be raised to improve downloads. example, i had win98se, got @home and ran a speed test. My results was 2500kbps down. Read about some tweaks and ran a tweak test on www.dslreports.com under tools and it showed my RWIN was way to low. Did the RWIN changed and my speed now was at 5500mbps down. BTW this was 2 years ago when ATT was partner with excite @home. ahh those was the good ol days. Now our max download is only 1500kbps:( So it appears for win98 that the max download bandwidth it can handle was 2500kbps. I imagine older OSes would be even worse. When win95 came out most every1 was on dialup, so tweaking for broadband was not an option. That is something u should start looking at first. I have a 133mhz with win2k installed on it. I can still get full 1500kbps on my download. I honestly think its his setting more then his cpu speed. Im sure if i could still get 5000kbps down my 133mhz machine will still handle that too.;)

that cant be true

what i said before was based on reviews that have been tested and stuff by some companies. Whether or not the reviews were valid, will remain a mystery.

Royal said:

what i said before was based on reviews that have been tested and stuff by some companies. Whether or not the reviews were valid, will remain a mystery.
im sure they were valid if a company did those test. What im going off is from personal experience. Im a IT admin and i have a network of 7 computers in my house, and from the days of win98 to now i remeber what it took to get the network up and how each OS faired with my broadband.;)
I deal with this kind of stuff for a living so i will have alot of hands on experience so whatever i say thats where it will be comming from. I wont sugar coat anything to make myself look any better. I really did all the tests i refer to.:D
Sometimes i may not know the exact number or am i always right... but that is y i will say correct me if im wrong or add any comments. I always like suggestions, im not a know it all, but when i do post, it will be on a subject im pretty familiar with.

i believe you did these tests. I'm not trying to compare my knowledge to yours. I'm only in net+ class and i'm trying my best to learn, and try to help people here to help me remember it. I'm 100% sure you're more knowledgable then me.

Royal said:
i believe you did these tests. I'm not trying to compare my knowledge to yours. I'm only in net+ class and i'm trying my best to learn, and try to help people here to help me remember it. I'm 100% sure you're more knowledgable then me.
dont get me wrong. I like u buddy, this is not a knowledge battle. We all have a right to our advice and comments. The more the better, it will just help justify that we are correct.
However, if i do run into some incorrect or slightly off info I will try my best to correct the misunderstanding. I mean no harm in doing so, and my intention is by all mean not to embarrass anybody.;)

Each members intentions are to help another. Sometimes our suggestions doesnt lead down the right path. If i know for certain, i will try my best to help in these matter.;)

AZN

I went to this site and after a few tweaks including RWIN, things got better. At this point my PPro200 CPU is the limit now.

hehe ooppsie i thought this thread died well it is running 98SE its pretty slow.... AZN nice Nick name =) Im asian too are you vietnamese? Well i'll screw around with it to see if it goes faster. I barely use the 120mhz just to fold and download on IRC thats about it.

Back