Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Caution with Maze3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 11:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
BlackLight1880
Registered

Caution with Maze3

I just purchased a maze3 and noticed something that may concern some of you with the same block.

--before I start--

As a credit to DangerDen, the item came well packaged with everything well wrapped.

The block was somewhat lapped (not mirror, but prob still usuable). Also, the lucite cover was free of scratches, and placed squarely over the copper bottom.

---now---

As a warning to anyone who may be using the block, be sure and check that the inlet and outlet barbs are firmly in place. I inspected mine when I got it, and it seemed firm, but upon placing a clamp on each one (as an extra security) I noticed BOTH barbs easily broke free from the light (silicone?) adhesive and started to turn fairly easily.

I don't know if it would have leaked, but as a precaution, you might want to add a little more sealant for your hardware's sake.
BlackLight1880 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 01:32 PM   #2
Neco

^up for prosperity
Neco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 02:03 PM   #3
bongo

Im fed up with these clear tops.

My TC-4 leaked twice. Went through two tops and they both cracked.

I say we stay away from clear tops. It looks kool for the first five seconds. Then I kinda couldn't care less if I can see into my block or not.

I almost lost a brand new 8k3a+ and Geforce3Ti500 to a leak yesterday!

Im sticking with soldered tops from now on. And I really recommend soldered tops for everyone else. Learn from our mistakes.
bongo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 02:07 PM   #4
masitti

Been watercooled for a few days and no signs of lose barbs or leakage; will keep an eye out though; thanks.
masitti is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 02:34 PM   #5
Wicked Klown
Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior

10 Year Badge

What about with clear tops if I were to Marine Goop them down and around where the clear top meets the copper bottom.

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Wicked Klown is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 02:59 PM   #6
Ichelo351

i have a gemini spiral wb, it has a clear top, been useing for a couple of months now, and the barbs are still firm as the day i got it, and haven't had any kindof problem with leaking or anything like that!

folding for team 32!
Ichelo351 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 04:50 PM   #7
NoKtEm

what do u do if it starts to leak out water? i noticed my maze 3 kinda leaks when the tube is bent, i guess the pressure kinda forces itself out... it doesn't leak normally but i dunno =P seems kinda sketchy to me
NoKtEm is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 04:57 PM   #8
DoGMaN

I have a Spir@l and after nearly 6 months of constant use it leaked on Saturday. Cooking my Board, vidcard and various other cards. I'd stick to soldered tops.

Hush - a work in progress
Intel i7 3770 XSPC Raystorm Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 OC Windforce XSPC Razor GTX680 Rev2 modified Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD Intel 520 Series 240GB WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache Custom Water Cooled Fractal Designs Define R4 Pearl Black Antec HCP-1000 Platinum 1000W PSU EK Coolstream XTC 280 w/2X Cougar Vortex HDR 140mm XSPC EX240 w/2X Scythe GT AP-15 DazMode STORM DDC 3.25 XSPC Acrylic Pump Top Reservoir
DoGMaN is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 05:17 PM   #9
Paul.K

Sorry to hear about the bad news. I too have opted for a copper top Maze 3-1......

Dont trust the plastic tops!!!

Paul.K
Paul.K is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 05:25 PM Thread Starter   #10
BlackLight1880
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by DoGMaN
I have a Spir@l and after nearly 6 months of constant use it leaked on Saturday. Cooking my Board, vidcard and various other cards. I'd stick to soldered tops.

Ouch. I hate hearing stuff like that. Nothing worse than losing your stuff.

With the maze3, I ended up putting some aquarium sealant (silicone) around the barbs without screwing them out. Not sure if resealing with silicone will "cure" the problem, but I sure felt better about it. Since I've only had the thing a few days, I hate to replace it so soon even though I feel I should have bought the copper top.

All I can do is hope for the best.
Old 08-07-02, 05:34 PM   #11
The Spyder

I noticed yours had the nylon fittings, mine is clear- had the brass brabs and has worked perfectly!
The Spyder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-07-02, 06:23 PM Thread Starter   #12
BlackLight1880
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
I noticed yours had the nylon fittings, mine is clear- had the brass brabs and has worked perfectly!
yea, I ordered the nylon instead of the brass. No real good reasoning to that, other than I didn't think that it would matter at first.

I did notice when I was setting everything up that I felt much more confortable tightening the clamps on the store-bought brass fittings over tightening the clamps on the nylon. The nylon fittings seem pretty strong, but nothing near a stronger brass fitting. I've actually thought about swapping them out, since now I now they aren't "cemented" in.
Old 08-08-02, 04:48 AM   #13
tseongsun

Quote:
Originally posted by DoGMaN
where did yours leak from, I think I will double check mine asap.
tseongsun is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-08-02, 11:16 AM Thread Starter   #14
BlackLight1880
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by tseongsun

where did yours leak from, I think I will double check mine asap.
Mine was leaking through threads. Mind you there was a silicone type sealant on there when I got it, but I don't believe there was enough. I think they leave that up to you (which I know now). I surely doesn't hurt to check it out.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool