• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 new bios 1011, did you check your new temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AragornXtreme

Registered
Wow, I was amazed 5 minutes ago when i booted up windows after flashing from the 1006 to the 1011. I noticed MBM 5 reporting CPU temps of 34 degrees for an athlon xp 2000+.
WOW
Well, i basically have two theories on this temps:
1: Asus screwed up its firts BIOS by writing bad temperature measurement codes, and they've finally fixed the problem
2: MARKETING. The A7v333 has gained the reputation of being a terrilbe "hotty" and maybe its an ASUS move to sell more and get rid of this.

Personally, I think this is some sort of marketing move by ASUS.
What do you think guys?

Yeah. I just upgraded and my temperatures are 10 degrees lower!
Usually idle in windows I would be at 51 C at 1655 mhz for an XP 1800. Now I'm at 39 to 40..I think we should call this the Miracle BIOS. Either the BIOS was way off detecting the thermal diode or Asus has made a miracle.

Actually, I think the new BIOS is the one that is way off. I suspect that the new BIOS just subtracts 5-10 degrees from the true temperature readings.

Actually I think it adds the ACPI "halt" command which I heard does lower processor core temperatures. I think this is the real deal because I have been able to overclock higher because of it.

I think that the previous bios were just reporting the temps higher.
I had the same chip in the same rig except w/ a k7s5a and my cpu temp then was 34-35c under full load and 30-31c just surfing the net.
Those are exactly the same temps I'm getting now w/ 1011 bios.
My temps w/ 1008 bios were 38c idle and 43c full load.

I don't think the temps actually dropped, just the way they were being read and reported was wrong on the pre-1011 bios.

If that was the case then why is the core voltage still being reported higher? For me I have it set on 1.85 but the BIOS still detects it as 1.90-1.92.

Where did you find this version - the Asus site has only 1009 - and that is beta posted 7/18.

Just wondering...

Thanks!

my bad - found it. weird about the temps. i've been racking my brain while i wait for my digidoc to come so i can see if my watercooling rig is living up to expectations - i'll let you know how the temps jive.

I love the 1011 BIOS, using DigiDoc5 I mounted a flat probe with ASII touching the CPU Core before I remounted my waterblock. The temps according to DigiDoc are normally within 3-5C from what is reported by MBM5. Running Prime95 my temps peak at 42C according to MBM5 with an ambient air temp of 33C.

What's an ACPI halt command? I am just curious because I flasehd from 1006 to 1001 and my temps dropped around 8 degrees, but I have been able to overclock with a little more success--nothing major at this point though.

The Halt command basically "turns off" areas of the CPU that aren't being used. Its similar to programs like CPUCool. It may affect idle temps slightly, but I don't think it affects load temps.

I put my probe as close to the cpu die as possible and i can tell you that the bios 1011 is a better and truer reflection of temps. My probe reports 47C and Asus Probe reports 49C.

At first i was suspect aswell, but i'm quite happy i did the probe experiment.

My only concern is the mobo temps. Mine shot up from around 32 to 38C. I guess when i have a chance i will drop my probe on that huge heatsink and monitor it aswel

I used a temp. probe touching my HSF at the base - I flashed the bios, mobo reported it diffrently, however my probe told me about the same...

ok... about the new bios.. 1011... my cpu temp just about always stays at 40C... hardly ever budges, unless i play a game for a while.
also, the MB temp gets high rather fast. prior to the new bios i heard a normal range for it was 28-35C. my mb temp quickly reads 33C. any thoughts?
peace :beer:

Back