• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop and cell phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

How would I dial my isp with my laptop without plugging the modem into the wall? Is there some way to connect my laptop's modem to my cell phone perhaps, or is there a better way to do it?

Some cell phones allow that. You can also get a celluar modem. Most newer phones (digital ones) have a special adapter that plugs into the phone and goes to the serial port on your computer. Effectively, the phone acts as a modem for you directly.

Which is better, the cellular modem or the phone which plugs into the serial port? I'm on a tight budget so I would probably prefer whichever option is the cheapest.

Also, what kind of download speeds would I get?

Here in the uk, the cell phone network is capped to 19200. I use A nokia 6210 with my PDA and Dads laptop.

I use the infared port to communicate, you can also get a lead that plugs onto the bottom of most nokies that turns it into a modem.

I've also used an ericsson T10 with an addition infared modem that clips on the bottom of the phone.

I found not much difference between the two setups. I would get a phone with infared and let the laptop and phone communicate that way, less wires and things to take.

Plus it looks cool to have a cell phone and a laptop next to each other, surfing the net with no wires running around :)

Back