• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Usb AND nic????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I am uing a cable modem that supports usb and ethernet. Will it help me get to 2megs down and 200 up? I have them both hooked up now and I dont know if i should leave it as is or choose one or the other. Any thoughts or suggetions would be nice. I am getting 1.6megs down and 192 up.

woods said:
I am uing a cable modem that supports usb and ethernet. Will it help me get to 2megs down and 200 up? I have them both hooked up now and I dont know if i should leave it as is or choose one or the other. Any thoughts or suggetions would be nice. I am getting 1.6megs down and 192 up.
you have both hooked up right now??? that is interesting. NO, it will not get you more bandwidth. Your ISP provides up to 1.6mbps down and 192kbps up so thats going to be your maximum. The USB port i believe is rated about 11mbps (correct me if im wrong) so taht is more then enough to handle your interent speed. The NIC or LAN card should be a 10/100 or 10 mbps speed. Once again more then enough to handle your bandwidth. If all you have is just your PC pluged into the modem, then i would just pick 1 slot and unplug the other. An up side to the NIC card is the speed of up 100mbps and able to connect to a network via Xover cable to 1 machine or multiple via hub, switch, or router. The only way to get more bandwidth is to pay for more.

I dont think that my cap is that low. I have hit speeds of 6mps down and 600kps up. I would like to get those speeds more often.

woods said:
I dont think that my cap is that low. I have hit speeds of 6mps down and 600kps up. I would like to get those speeds more often.
that is great speeds. what company is ur ISP? how much are u paying for it?

Hit those speeds on every single server every minute of the day is just not going to happen. Even if your ISP rocks and u get insane bandwidth you have to remember around 5-8pm the rest of the world is at home gamming, email checking, web surfing, forum reading... so peak times will get slower speeds. Also some servers have download caps. They have to share the speeds with many people downloading simutaniously so u cant always hog the bandwidth. It would be great to have 6mbps on every download but sometimes u will hit net congestion and thats going to cripple your download speed.
http://www.warriorsofthe.net/movie.html
go there and u can check out alittle movie clip about TCP/IP
if your interested in learning something its great, but it may bore some people. Its kinda old but still u will learn how it all works.

www.dslreports.com u can run speed test there and even check to see if your computer is configured for maximum download. its in the tools section under tweak.

BTW if anything plugging in to connections out of the modem to your computer may make it worse. It might confuse it who knows. maybe 1 isnt even doing anything. If you really wanted to know, I would run a speed test with them both in and 1 at a time.

AZN

My isp is charter cable. They rate my connection at 1.5 down and 125 up. I am paying $50 a month for it. But I am also only 30 feet from the server ( it is like a block away) I am getting trafic through both usb and the nic. My external modem has trafic indicators on it.

woods said:
My isp is charter cable. They rate my connection at 1.5 down and 125 up. I am paying $50 a month for it. But I am also only 30 feet from the server ( it is like a block away) I am getting trafic through both usb and the nic. My external modem has trafic indicators on it.
if its rated at 1.5mbps and 128kbps then when was it that u hit 6mbps and 600kbps?
I remember back in the @home days we had no caps and i was getting like 6mpbs down and 128kbps up. but now our cap is 1.5mpbs and 256kbps. Well the good thin is our upload. but we had to sacrafice about 4mpbs on the down:(

So my question to u is, how in the world will u expect 6mpbs down and 600kbps up if the cap is 1500/128kbps???
I think its safe to say its just not going to happen;)

AZN

woods said:

It's one or the other, not both, when it comes to usb/ethernet modems. This I have to see if what you are saying works. What brand/model is your cable modem?

'30 feet from the server 'like a block away' Is this 'new' math?

I have used both. I heard the nic was a better choice, but both seemed to work fine. I have a Motorola Surfboard 4100. BTW, my provider needed to know when I switched, because they log the mac address.

flounder43 said:
I have used both. I heard the nic was a better choice, but both seemed to work fine. I have a Motorola Surfboard 4100. BTW, my provider needed to know when I switched, because they log the mac address.
he meant using both at the same time... I dont think it will help, if anything it will make it worse. either that, or 1 just doesnt pick up anything.

AZN

AZN. I know I can get it to 6mps down and 600kps up. I have gotten these speeds before and when i get them they are consistent for about an hour or so. I have tested speeds using both, nic, and just usb. not much of a difference in the speeds but it seems more stable with both. I am using a Lynksys lne100tx fast ethernet adapter and aan ambit usb cable modem.

woods said:
AZN. I know I can get it to 6mps down and 600kps up. I have gotten these speeds before and when i get them they are consistent for about an hour or so. I have tested speeds using both, nic, and just usb. not much of a difference in the speeds but it seems more stable with both. I am using a Lynksys lne100tx fast ethernet adapter and aan ambit usb cable modem.
www.dslreports.com check under tools. and see what u speed u can get.
If u can get those speeds then great. But to if you think it helps to use both then keep using them. U can also use the tweaks at that site to get maximum out of ur bandwidth. GL. and plz post speeds thx..

AZN

Back