• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

all cable modems created equal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
hey guys im just delving into the world of broadband... no more shoddy 56k for me :) and i need a modem, i didnt opt to buy one form my isp as its 130 bucks and newegg has em for much cheaper. What i was wondering is, when looking for a modem to buy, what should i be looking for as far as features go and if anyone has a good one they like, could ya tell me why. Im looking for the best performance i can get outa this thing.

Thank, Jon Austin

will this be a cable modem? If so i think ebay will be your best bet. I found many modems there for a buy it now price of $55-65.
These are the same types of modems that ATT rents out for $10 a month.
When looking at modem basically u wont find 1 that will give you more bandwidth. Sorry to say but the ISP will have full control over that. Basically any compatible modem will be great. I would check with your ISP to see what modem are compatible to their network.

I dont know of to many features availble on a modem. IT doesnt do a whole lot beside connect you to the ISP network and give u that great speed:burn:
the only thing i can think of is some newer modems comes with 2 availble connections. 1 the RJ45 connecter (most common) which connects to the NIC card. The other is USB connecter. So, if you dont have a NIC card then u might want a modem that can connect to both types of adapters.

AZN

No not at all. Other than features, the one thing you need to make sure is that the modem that you pick is DOCSIS certified. Some cable networks will not let non-DOCSIS modems work.

my dlink modem is hella cool, it maxes out at 42mb/s down, and 11 mb/s up...my dad who has the one you rent, can only download at around 150k/s, and i usually withstand 300+ from websites with fast servers...from microsoft, ive gotten 500+

Hmmm......I'm moving to my new apartment to stay during college later this week, and I'm subscribing to BellSouth FastAccess DSL. I've called ahead of time to get an estimate on prices, and they're gonna charge me like 125 bucks for dsl modem. Should I just buy a modem, perhaps one like RangerJoe has?? Or would BellSouth even let me use my own modem?? If indeed I should buy a dsl modem myself, could I have some specific model numbers that you all think I should consider?? Thanks!!

my dlink modem is hella cool, it maxes out at 42mb/s down, and 11 mb/s up...

Too bad due to caps a cable modem will never run that fast unless it is in a nice dream...you would need T3 for that....but with T3 your upload would be 45mbp/s or w/e it is...

I got a surfboard SB4100 right now....it is a great little monster...sofar no problems here, and it has USB + NIC connections...

Spec

Hey whooping,
I have a motorola surfboard 4100, and it works great. It has a nice button on the front if you want to put it into standby when you aren't using it (for security).

What provider are you getting?

I like the Motorola 4200 better because the interrupt button is on top instead of in front like the 4100. Much easier to reach.

Audioaficionado said:
I like the Motorola 4200 better because the interrupt button is on top instead of in front like the 4100. Much easier to reach.
I've just recently went from a 4100 Motorola to a 4200 Motorola. I moved and when they came to hook up the cable they found a VERY week cable signal. So the 4100 would not work as the signal was to weak. But the 4200 did cause it can handle a much weaker cable signal. The weak signal does not effect speed's of internet. Just that if the signal fluctuates any lower I'll lose my connection (which has never happened). Beside's they put in an order to put in a second main line for a better signal's. I have'nt noticed a difference personally yet.

bdf24 said:

I've just recently went from a 4100 Motorola to a 4200 Motorola. I moved and when they came to hook up the cable they found a VERY week cable signal. So the 4100 would not work as the signal was to weak. But the 4200 did cause it can handle a much weaker cable signal. The weak signal does not effect speed's of internet. Just that if the signal fluctuates any lower I'll lose my connection (which has never happened). Beside's they put in an order to put in a second main line for a better signal's. I have'nt noticed a difference personally yet.
What is your signal strength?
If you go to http://192.168.100.1/signal.html it should tell you the info. Pretty neat. It works with my 4100 anyway.

Anything between +15 and -15 is OK, I guess. Signal to noise should be over 30. This, according to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

flounder43 said:

What is your signal strength?
If you go to http://192.168.100.1/signal.html it should tell you the info. Pretty neat. It works with my 4100 anyway.

Anything between +15 and -15 is OK, I guess. Signal to noise should be over 30. This, according to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

Well I guess they never ran the line yet. The signal strength is still -19. I thought my wife said they were here a week or so ago putting the new line in. I guess they were just checking it all out.

bdf24 said:

Well I guess they never ran the line yet. The signal strength is still -19. I thought my wife said they were here a week or so ago putting the new line in. I guess they were just checking it all out.
I used to have -2 to -3, then I put a bunch of splitters onthe line, for the phone and 2 TV's...now it is -8 to -9. It doesn't seem to affect the speed.

My signal to noise is 36.

BTW, I had a low reading before, and it turned out to be a bad crimp job by the original installer...

Back