• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

refresh rate problem with 8500 pro&Win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

I think I may have a bum card here, but I'm new to Radeon so maybe not.
Just put together a computer for a friend, MSI KT3, 256 PC2400, XP1800, 8500 PRO. All from Newegg. I can't get the refresh rate to change on the desktop. It has a noticeable flicker, but when I changed it from optimal to 85 Hz (at 1024x768) it made no difference. When I go into the display section of the Advanced Settings, the Radeon ones, it shows the single monitor at 1024x768 60Hz. I've tried different drivers off of the web, but they made no difference. It runs 3D Mark flawlessly, looks beautiful. It just got 8080 as I wrote this. But I need to be able to get the desktop to at least 75 Hz

Thanks, but I found the problem. At my friends request, I put 98 on this machine, even though he has a legit copy of XP.
I tried this machine with my Samsung 19" monitor, and it set the refresh to 100 Hz. I've never had a problem running the other 17" monitor (KDS VS-7E) at higher refresh rates with other video cards, but the combo of this very new card, an older monitor, and Win98 doesn't work very well. Fortunately it is just the monitor I use to set up computers.
I'm sure if I had set up XP on this thing, the included driver would have prevented this.

Update: I downloaded and installed Rage 3D Tweak, and it instantly fixed the problem, on reboot it was 1024x768 85Hz! And it is a handy overclocking tool. I highly recommend it.

Back