• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking needed for XP's in a dual machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

valinos

Registered
Well, I just screwed the pooch. Well, Soyo did. I was changing the processors in my Soyo Dragon Plus (video encoding system) from a 1.2 Tbird to my 1600+ and for the second time with the same model mobo it fried the mobo and the CPU. Just outta curiosity to see if the mobo was officially toasted since my 1600+ didn't work anymore, I stupidly put the 1.2 Tbird in there. Now neither processor will run in either of my two Soltek boards. And I have a non-working Soyo Dragon Plus, for the second time. The first time Newegg replaced it for me, this time it is 6 months later and no can do :/ Anyway, I'm a little peeved about losing about $250 worth of equipment, but it gives me reason to buy new stuff! Woot! With my dwindling bank account (I just quit my job because I'm off to college in a week...I'm gonna regret doing this but I just gotta)

Time to get me a dual system. :) Now my question is...If I use two Athlon XP's, do I need to unlock anything? I've heard stuff about having to bridge the L5 connectors or something to get XP's to run in dual machines meant for MP's, but I still haven't found any posts relating to this. Unlocking definately ain't a problem since I unlocked my fried 1600+ with very few problems. I'd like to just pick up two more 1600+ procs and a cheap dual mobo from newegg though.

So basically, how do I use XP's in an MP system? Pictures are helpful. :) Thanks

Back