• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Ice VS heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GWN

Ok I was wondering if anyone was using a black ice rad ( not the extreme but the normal one) and swaped it out with a heater core and what the difference was. My system is doing fairly well right now. I seem to idle around 36c and load around 39c depending on room temp. All the reading I see tells be that the BIX blows and that a heater core is much better. I am going to order a heatercore with shroud from D-tek and I just want to know what kind of temp drop to expect. Anyone try this personally? what was the temp change? Just want to make sure it is worth it.

I will second that. Everyone is so pro-heater core because it is by far cheaper, but if you already have a black ice and are getting those temps, I would just leave it. I have a BIX and it works fine (of course, had I read much here before and if I had a bigger case, I woulda gone with a hearcore...)

but they both work fine.

Thanks Guys! If I would see snother drop of about 4-5 c then i think it's worth it but if not then I won't bother

GWN said:
Thanks Guys! If I would see snother drop of about 4-5 c then i think it's worth it but if not then I won't bother

Nobody mentioned this but depending on your setup you don't NEED and you wouldn't even SEE a difference in the temps. The reason a heatercore is better is because it can disperse more watts of heat/min than a BI or BIX. If you're running a peltier then maybe the heatercore would give you a significant difference, but if you're just running a P4 or an athlon at stock voltage you probably won't see a difference.

Back