• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Home won't install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cullam3n

Pentium rig plus
-Avermedia TV Tuner
-Sohoware NIC card
-Currently Windows ME

My dad bought Windows XP Home upgrade. When he tries to install it, it finishes installing, goes to reboot, and hangs there. The only to get out of it is to use the command prompt and use sys. C:, or something to that effect. It's like it can't find the system. A couple of months ago when my dad tried to install it, it gave an error 3e6h. My dad tried everything short of reformatting. He called Microsoft Tech support, and gave them the error. They said that the motherboard was too old and it wasn't compatiable with Windows XP. However, my dad tried installing it the other day, and I explained it above (hangs at reboot). What should I do? He tried installing it with only minimal components (video, ram, cpu, mobo, hard drive, cd-rom drive) and it doesn't work either.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

-PC

If your dad is receiving one of the following two error messages while upgrading...

Fatal Error
Setup Cannot Continue. Please Contact Microsoft Technical Support. (Error: 3E6h)

-or-

WINNT32 this program has performed an illegal operation. WINNT32 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL

...then you may want to take a look at the following MSKB article, it may be of some help to your dad in trying to resolve the problem:

Error Message: Setup Cannot Continue. Please Contact Microsoft Technical Support. (Error: 3E6h) ;)

No no, that's not the problem. The problem is that when it is done installing, it reboots like it's supposed to, and then it just hangs there. And then to get out of it you need to open the command prompt and use sys. C:

-PC

from previous experiences, when something like that happens, you usually have to format the hard drive and start all over again... you should be prepared to lose your data everytime you install an OS... if you didn't back up your HD, i'd suggest getting another hard drive and installing Windows on that one... then set the other one as slave and you should be able to recover your data...

Hey cull I just went to miscrosoft website they have a community forum there. I was looking for an answer to my problem of win32 error messages, anyway I believe I read a lot of post about your problem there good luck

The problem is that when it is done installing, it reboots like it's supposed to, and then it just hangs there. And then to get out of it you need to open the command prompt and use sys. C:
I just have a few questions for you Cullam3n...
1. Is your dad trying to upgrade Me with XP, or is he trying to do a clean install of XP (I was under the impression he was trying to upgrade)?
2. Where does the install hang...at the "Verifying DMI Data Pool", after the first reboot?
3. Is there a BSOD of any sort during the install or upgrade?
4. Is the partition that your dad is trying to install/upgrade XP on formatted in FAT or NTFS?

Also, what do you mean by this..."And then to get out of it you need to open the command prompt and use sys. C:" ;)

redduc900 said:
I just have a few questions for you Cullam3n...
1. Is your dad trying to upgrade Me with XP, or is he trying to do a clean install of XP (I was under the impression he was trying to upgrade)?
2. Where does the install hang...at the "Verifying DMI Data Pool", after the first reboot?
3. Is there a BSOD of any sort during the install or upgrade?
4. Is the partition that your dad is trying to install/upgrade XP on formatted in FAT or NTFS?

Also, what do you mean by this..."And then to get out of it you need to open the command prompt and use sys. C:" ;) [/B]

1. Upgrading from ME to XP
2. First reboot
3. No BSOD
4. FAT 32

It means that it transfers the system files to the target drive because either it doesn't copy the system files or it isn't reading them correctly.

-PC

Well Cullam3n, the only other thing I can suggest is reading through the MSKB article I've linked to below. It could be a problem with the MB BIOS, Video card BIOS, faulty RAM, a virus, an incompatible software program, plus any number of other possibilities.

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q310064 ;)

Thanks. There were a few incompatable programs from XP listed, such as Ram Idle. I'm gonna tell my dad to remove them to see if it works. I doubt it though.

By the way, my dad has been through and through the support center of Microsoft. I doubt you are going to find something he didn't.

-PC

Back