• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sony 1.44 floppy drive won't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jellognome

Registered
It's the only piece in my computer that won't work...

2.26 GHz
ABIT IT7
GF4 Ti4600
ethernet card
santa cruz

device manager doesn't show any conflicts. it could be a dead drive, that would suck. are dead floppies common? I should try it in another computer.

Try it in another computer and if that doesn't work flip the floppy end of the cable around. This has happened to me a couple times. The red striped pin does not connect the same way an IDE cable does. If that doesn't work, try using it outside the case. Some cases use thin metal and the screws short out the floppy.

yeah just flip it around. the red wire goes on the side next to the power like on a hard drive but the power on a floppy is on the other side so its sorta backwards.

confused yet? haha.

I don't understand about the cable. THere are two cables. One 4-pin wire from the PSU and one ribbon connected to the motherboard. They both fit only one way in the floppy drive. What am I supposed to flip?

jellognome said:
I don't understand about the cable. THere are two cables. One 4-pin wire from the PSU and one ribbon connected to the motherboard. They both fit only one way in the floppy drive. What am I supposed to flip?
the FDD cable should be able to go on either way... those aren't "keyed" like ide drive cables.

the FDD cable is what you are supposed to flip.

okay I tried flipping the fdd cable, if I do that then the light won't come on and I am still unable to read the A: drive. I tried a different FDD cable (reeeally old, it has the adapters for 5.25 on it hehe) and I tried a different floppy drive. Nothing seems to work so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If none of them are working then try the floppy drives outside the case (like I already suggested) because the case may be shorting out the drives.

And if it still dead in another computer, i could rumage around and find one for ya, i'm a computer wrek yard lol....

Thats if you want one.... :p

Abit is somewhat known for it's poor QC. One of the common problems is their floppy connector. Seems they tend to mount the connector upside down, thus preventing a floppy drive to work properly...

fizz, so is it a problem on the motherboard or just the connector itself? how would I go about fixing this problem? I got a new cable and it still doesn't work.

jellognome said:
fizz, so is it a problem on the motherboard or just the connector itself? how would I go about fixing this problem? I got a new cable and it still doesn't work.

You might want to RMA the board. I can't say for sure, as I haven't had the problem myself, but what I heard is this: the plastic floppy connector on the mainboard is upside down, the result being that you can't put the floppy cable in properly. I'd guess that you could try to cut the plastic up and insert the floppy cable the other way around, but that would be drastic and potentially destructive. It will void the warranty too, not something you'd want if it didn't fix the problem.

Back