• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does burning-in a cpu shorten its life??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
My dad keeps telling me to stop burning-in my cpu cause its going to die reallysoon and hes not gonna buy me a new one. My temps are fine for my cpu, its not getting damaged is it??

If im right burning in is ionyl pegging your CPU at full, if you've done some distributed computing stuff like SETI or Folding you've probably alaredy left your computer on with its CPU pegged at full for probably at least 12 hours (unless you turn off you system every chance you get)

And i havnt heard of and of the Folders having their comps crap out a good deal sooner.

Tell your dad a chip is suppose to last 20 years, a CPUs life will be shortened while under stress or in this case, being burned in. 20years will be shortened to like 5 years, and by 5 years your chip will be nothing. That's how I see it.

as long as your temps stay down your ok, because its the heat that shortens the life of your components, turning it on and off is more stressfull than running it.

Yodums - thats exactly what I thought and what I told him thanx for verifying...

BuckMaster - I know turning on and off a cpu is stressful,b ut it is better to turn it off the whole night because every electronic component has a life in hours, so the less it runs the better.

i dont keep my stuff long enuff to worry about that. but i turn mine off at night. even though it's stressfull. i dont worry about it

BuckMaster, what do you have that tbred of yours running at?
Can you give us some feedback on the new epox mobo too?
Thanks.

im not running the new T-Bred yet, and i wont have mt new Epox till monday, im using my backup puter, a dell dimension 4300, but i will leave you guys some feedback on it probally tues nite. i have to unlock my cpu and put everything back together and i need a lil time for adjustments. but i will let yah know how it performs

Back