• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

I have WinXP installed and every time I try to launch a game or application that uses my 3d hardware I get a BSOD saying "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" now, I understand what it means but why am I getting it?

my hardware is:
Asus A7A266
Athlon 1.4ghz
128mb PC2100 DDR RAM
SB Live 5.1
VisionTek GeForce2 GTS 32mb
3com ethernet card (don't know what specific model it is)
30gb IBM 7200rpm HDD
Creative 52x CD-ROM
Artec 32x/12x/48x CD-RW

I moved all my hardware to my friends mobo (same model as mine) and he did not get this error and I put his h/w on my mobo and got the error.

i'm assuming it's something with my motherboard but I don't know what it could be. I have reset the BIOS to factory standard settings but the error remains =/

any ideas would be wonderful.

I had that problem after I installed il2 Sturmovik. I found the answer at Viaarena . I followed the instructions on disabling ACPI, and it solved the problem for me.

Last edited:
Had it happen to me on 2 computers, after about 3 days, I figured out you should disable APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) in the BIOS.

APIC IS NOT ACPI

I don't know why they are saying ACPI, because that has never cause any problems for me, but disabling that would probably disable any effects caused from APIC, so I think that is why they are saying it, although APIC is the true culprit.

go to start, control panel, system, device manager, then your computer thing and make sure it doesn't say you have a Uniprocessor PC, you want it to be a ACPI PC. If it is a Uniprocessor PC, after you disable APIC in the bios your computer won't boot and you will need to reinstall windows, but after that you should never have that stupid BSOD again.

I had to disable ACPI to get rid of that error message. So it sounds like alot of us are in the same boat.

Maestro

repo man , thanks for telling me. I think now maybe some bios makers integrate the ACPI and APIC together, or maybe that isn't possible.

but anyway, you can tell by your HAL or Hardware abstration layer, under your computer in the device manager.

if it is uniprocessor you will get the error

if it is ACPI ... you won't get it.

mobile20, I read that whole thing a month ago,it gives you lots of technical bable, but doesn't help, kinda like a lot of microsoft help crap.

not sayin you were wrong to post it, I just don't think it helps.

well, the only problem is that I don't have windows installed currently. I had Linux (ahh... I love linux but can't do much gaming) so I formatted and was trying to reisntall but, alas, I get this BSOD during the install =(

so there's either something wrong with my motherboard or there is an option in my BIOS or something that I need to change to fix this.

well, after reading all that stuff at viaarena and playing around with my system i've concluded that the culpret is the SB Live cards =/
I have installed XP after removing the sound card but then if I put it back in and launch a game I get my favourite little BSOD =(

so, any work-arounds would be appreciated

btw, I set the ACPI PC thing to Standard PC in my Device Manager but then I can't boot back into windows and had to reinstall XP ?!?!

Is_907 said:
btw, I set the ACPI PC thing to Standard PC in my Device Manager but then I can't boot back into windows and had to reinstall XP ?!?!
Thats basically what happens when you disable ACPI after you have Windoze installed.:D

Dont worry. I did the same mistake myself in 98SE. I disabled ACPI after I had just finished re-installing the os, and ended up having to re-installing it again.:eek:

well, i'm not getting any IRQL problems now =D
thanks for all the help

I just need the latest XP drivers for my GF2. (no internet hooked up to that comp. yet since we're moving right now... but cable is coming soon =)

how do you set the ACPI to standard in Device manager? I know you can see what type of HAL you have, but I can't change it or even see options to change it? what'd you do?

Back