• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! 1.8 celly vs. 1.6 p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidConfusion

Hey all Im building an intel system for a friend its one of those leave it alone pc's and my question is if the extra 200Mhz on the celly (and 20 bucks less) will make up for 128Mb cache diffrence ?????
the 1.6 is NOT the alpha just the usual 1.6 with the 256 cache.
please help with this as I dont know jack about the intel side of the house thanks in advance

EDIT: he's one of those whats a processer guys and just wants intel trust me I did my best to build him an AMD... lol

Well, as much as I'd hate to say it, I think the Celly might be a hair faster. I don't think it would make too much of a difference though, as the 1.6 is a Willamette and not a Northwood. If it were a Northy I'd say build it with that, but it's not. Personally... I'd flip a coin and decide that way.

aren't they both based on the same core? both willamette cores? spose i would go for the celly

Hes probally not going to do anything but surf the web, right? Get the cheaper one. What are you going to use for memory?

yeah both are williamette cores the p4 has a 256 L2 and the celly has a 128 L2 thats the only diffrence other than the clock speed.... He surf's, programs and his lil brother plays a few games on it Im using an old generic stick of pc2100 512Mb I have sitting around. He came to me wanting a P4 seeing as how all he knows is thats the latest model and he is on a pretty tight budget im trying to get the most out of the pc so it will last him at least a few years Im starting to lean towards the celly just cause the price diffrence and I think the performance will be pretty close
(still would rather build him a low end XP or a Morgan core duron)

Last edited:
Convince him to spend the extra 50$ for a 1.8A or he'll be miserable in a year. I have a 1.5Ghz Willy and I hate it and the 1.8 Celeron is a castrated version of a bad processor so.......

get him a tualatin celeron and overclock it. it'll spank that willamette's arse.
:D

you don't have to go crazy with the overclock. buy a 1.1A and it will run stable (most likely at default voltage) at 133mhz fsb easily.

<teacher voice>you meant to say Kb in ur first post right? cause Mb is megabytes..</teachervoice> just correctin ya ;)

i would also go for a 1.6a and put it to 133 fsb :)

max

Tamasha_Strife said:
Convince him to spend the extra 50$ for a 1.8A or he'll be miserable in a year. I have a 1.5Ghz Willy and I hate it and the 1.8 Celeron is a castrated version of a bad processor so.......

well said! :D

thanks for the input like i said until 2 days ago I havent payed attention to intel since 550Mhz... yeah I meant to type Kb I typed that at almost 1 am realized my error in my second post but waz 2 lazy to fix it. thanks again

Back