• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Socket7 Sticky/FAQ [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

Retired Sticky

If you look around, socket7/AT machines aren't hard to find. Most of them are equipped with Intel P133 to 233 CPU's. You can hardly donate a computer that slow anymore, most schools and such won't accept them. But many of these machines can be upgraded to 500 MHz, with the help of AMD K6-2's or even better, K6-2+'s.

While these aren't the worlds greatest CPU, using one in an old socket7 AT computer can make it a good machine for kids (I mean young kids), grandparents, or anyone who doesn't have a computer who just wants to do the basics. Not everyone needs a Ferrari, many people would be happy with a minivan.

This article at Tom's Hardware shows how to make the old Asus P55T2P4 run at 500 MHz using a K6-2+. Anandtech has a good article about the K6-2+here. I know Tom isn't too popular around here, but this article is from before they went downhill.

As they say in that article. the key to running these boards fast is the 6x multiplier built into all K6-2 CPU's from the 400 MHz on. When you set the clock multiplier at 2 on the board, the CPU reads it as 6. 6x66=400 And like the Asus board in that article, many old socket 7 boards (and many super 7 boards) have unofficial busspeeds that can only be found by experimenting with the jumpers/dip switches. So if your old board has a setting for 75 MHz 6x75=450, 83 MHz 6x83=500.

One thing that they didn't mention in the Tom's article was Jan Steunebrinks Unofficial K6-2+/K6-III+ Page . As a hobby, and out of the goodness of his heart, he has patched BIOS's for many older socket7 boards that take advantage of the enhancements of the plus series CPU, report the proper MHz of the CPU, and he has several that allow the board to use up to 128 Gigabyte hardrives!

I have my mom setup with an Asus P55T2P4 computer like in the Tom's article. Like all MMX capable socket 7 boards I have seen, it has working USB ports. I had to get a cable adapter for it, but her USB optical mouse works great. And it'll make for an easy connection when I finally talk her into getting a digital camera. We got a 40 Gig harddrive at Best Buy on sale, so I upgraded to the latest BIOS from Jan Steunebrink. It works great. True, the controller is only ATA33, but the newer drives are faster even on the slow controller, I suppose because of memory cache and other improvements. She'll never need the space, but I wanted her to have a good reliable drive, and 40 gig drives are where the bargains are these days. It runs Windows XP with no problems, and she is very happy with it.

Another advantage of these older machines is that they still have ISA slots. This is good because there are a lot of good ISA Modems and soundcards out there for cheap.

So next time you see an old AT P133 machine with a dead harddrive, check it out. You might be able to make a good basic machine for someone for the price of a K6-2+ (available at Tiger Direct for $35.00 for a 450 it'll run at least 500) and a used harddrive. And because it only has a P133 and a dead harddrive, you might be able to get it free! Not everyone knows that it can be upgraded to 500 MHz!

I've purposely left Super7 and K6-3 and K6-3+ CPU's out. The prices for good AT Super 7 boards are much too high, same with K6-3+ CPU's. Once you get to that kind of money, there is no excuse for not using a Socket A setup.

I left this out originally, this site has a good K6-2 compatibility list.

I regularly see questions about the K6-2+, so here is a quick cut and paste:
The K6+ Features and Benefits

* With most other Socket 7 CPUs, the L2 cache is located on the motherboard where it operates at the speed of the system bus (typically between 66 and 100MHz). The CPU operates at a multiple of the system bus. For the K6-2, this multiplier can be as high as six. What this means is that the CPU core is operating six times faster than the memory on the motherboard, even the 'fast' L2 cache memory. The processor ends up spending much of it's time waiting for information from the system bus. At the higher multiples, this can cause a big slowdown. The AMD K6-2+ and K6-III+ combat this problem by integrating the L2 cache into the CPU chip. (128K on the K6-2+ and 256K on the K6-3+) This cache operates at the full processor speed, resulting in less delay when fetching data. For most applications, this translates into more speed at the same clock rate.
* The motherboard cache in most systems can only handle up to 128MB of RAM. Installing more than 128MB results in a big CPU performance drop. The L2 cache built into the K6-2+ and K6-3+ does not have this limitation and allows you to install more memory without a significant loss of performance. If you have more than 128MB installed, the K6-III+ will be twice as fast as a K6-2 at the same clock rate.
* The K6-2+ and K6-III+ also incorporate the 'enhanced' 3DNow! instructions found in the Athlon processors. To quote AMD:
o "The five (3DNow!) instructions enhance the performance of communications applications, including soft modems, soft ADSL, MP3, and Dolby Digital and Surround sound processing."
* The K6-2+/III+ are 2.0 volt processors, consuming less power and generating less heat than previous models. If you're familiar with the older 2.4 volt K6-III processors (which could heat a small apartment), these chips are far cooler. It also makes for much more successful overclocking. They have been known to run at speeds of 600MHz and beyond.
Excellent K6-2+ article here: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1406
q3_640.gif

I found this link a while back. You may find it useful for upgrading an older system, they have patched BIOS that support larger drives on older motherboards, Socket 7 and Slot 1 both.
http://wims.host.sk/

I've noticed that Tiger Direct no longer stock the K6-2+. But Newegg has K6-2 500's for $16.00. Still a big boost over a P166 MMX.

I recently purchased a Toshiba laptop. The first thing I did was replace the K6-2 475 with a K6-2+ 450 I had. Luckily it recognized the CPU well enough to boot, but the BIOS calls it a K5.
The down side of this is that without proper CPU recognition, it doesn't enable Write Allocate. But I found a freeware application that does, and also enables you to use the Powernow feature to change the clock multiplier in Windows. K6 speed. It is a little way down the page. It is compatible with XP. It would also be a useful program for anyone trying to use K6-2+ with a motherboard without an available BIOS for the mobile processors. And for jumper free overclocking.
The multiplier changing utility worked well for me, but with the poor cooling of my laptop, running my 450 at 523 didn't last long. But enabling Write Allocate made a noticeable difference (a couple of points) in Performance Test. And it allowed me to play a Divx movie straight from the CDROM smoothly. It was a little jerky before.

No longer maintained, I'm outta here. Snubbed once too often. Might see you at AOA, where they don't have a caste system. Delete when hopelessly obsolete. Bye!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful information! I agree that the article on THG was very good and they wen way down after that. I had never hears of Jan's site and I just got through reading most of it. Very nice work he has done. Thanks for the post!

I actually found one, an Asus P5-A, for about $30. It booted and ran 98SE fine. I found the last bios update and flashed perfectly! This was 2 months ago and I still haven't used it for anything! At least I have it, now if I could find an Asus P5-AB at form factor.:D

Oh yeah!, my old PC-Chips no-name motherboard with an ALI TX Pro chipset motherboard which originally had a Pentium 166MHz with MMX.

Well, after going to the store and picking up a AMD K6-2 500MHz CPU, I very quickly slapped it onto this old fashioned motherboard, set the multiplier to 2X which on the 400MHz+ K6-2s corresponds to 6X along with upping the FSB to 83MHz gave me a nice! 83.3 X 6 = 500MHz!!

I now have a 500MHz K6-2 from my old PC!

DS-Master

i just resently found out that a mATX super7 board that i thought i killed still lives !!!!

its from a compaq , i know compaq but really its from giga-byte

its a GA-5SMM it has onboard video/sound makes a great mp3 box or somtin small for surfing , with a amd k6-2 475 which i am able to run @ 525mhz . this is the only super7 that i know of that has a 1/4 pci divder @ 133 fsb , and the only super 7 that suports 133 fsb , i have acutaly ran a 475 chip @ 3.5x133 fsb with 3.0 vcore !!! since my first realy comp was a compaq 5441 which had same mobo and chip config , it was my first overclocking pc , which got me hooked !, i was so happy when i found out that some one in the clasifides had one for sale. a 50 $ combo of the board the chip and 64 ram for 50$ !! all u need is a cdrom , hdd , and psu , and hey anything can work for a case. well i had all those other parts just layin around so i bought it. i was happy i put linux on it and had some fun overclocking when one day it just stoped working , and oh no i thought i killed another one!
but some months later now i just decided to try it and it works!!

its not a bad system to just mess around with. these boards r very flexible able to run not only AMD but intel and cyrix , and those others

For getting multipliers other than 3.5 and under and 6x on older boards, you need to see this....
http://www.jump.net/~lcs/kalle/

The socket patching described on this site will work with many other motherboards. Same technique is also useful for running Winchip 2bs at higher speeds and some Cyrix chips (PR366 upward I think) at higher multi lower bus speed)

Road Warrior

Useful page for older board and K6 compatibility...
http://www.heise.de/ct/english/97/06/338/

Hint, if it works with a K6-266 you can get it working with a k6-2 or 3 with socket patching for multipliers if necessary.

Useful K6-x and links page...
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/1cls/k6page.html#BIOS Features Setup

Useful site for CPU info not only for socket 7 but other sockets and slots too.
http://users.erols.com/chare/main.htm

K6-x s and PC CHIPs/Amptron?PC Ware/Elpina/Dallas VX Pro Boards.
http://www.zarniwoop.force9.co.uk/index.htm

Road Warrior

Okay it sounds like you're saying to replace a P133 processor with an AMD. A socket 7 slot is interchangeable with an Intel or AMD chip? That's what it sounds like. I've got a couple old Socket 7 machines that I've been wanting to get running over the 100mhz that's already in there, just wondering what to look for on e-bay.

Socket 7!!!

Yes, socket 7 (it is not a slot ) is interchangeable with an Intel or AMD chip.
Even if the mobo not in compatibility list.
It will usually work on socket 7 @ 2.8Volt ( i think some guy claims it work with socket 5 + very good cooling) , and you can use x2 multiplier that all boards have as x6, so most of the mobos can be usable.

But. You can find slot1/socket370/socketA mobo at the same price as socket7 mobo - dig it from trushcan for free, or buy it in the store, and k6-2 cpu costs (where i live) the same at least as AXP1700+ or celeron 1200 , or some slot 1 cpu.

Last edited:
Dont you think it would be better to go with a little old celery? I am not a fan of intel by anyt means but the little celeries were usually a bit stronger than the K6 series chips wernt they? And right now I see a celery 500 and board for 63 bucks and a celery 900 and board for66 bucks. Thats pretty hard to beat for a junker.
Of course, I will alwaysd cherish my little K6-2 400 :)

So next time you see an old AT P133 machine with a dead harddrive, check it out. You might be able to make a good basic machine for someone for the price of a K6-2+ (available at Tiger Direct for $35.00 for a 450 it'll run at least 500) and a used harddrive. And because it only has a P133 and a dead harddrive, you might be able to get it free! Not everyone knows that it can be upgraded to 500 MHz!
I've purposely left super7 and K6-3 and K6-3+ CPU's out. The prices for good AT super7 boards are much too high, same with K6-3+ CPU's. Once you get to that kind of money, there is no excuse for not using a socket A setup.
This is what it is about, taking a uselessly slow computer and doing a relatively inexpensive upgrade to make it a useable machine. If you have an ATX case, then I can see no reason to run a socket 7 CPU, there are too many inexpensive socket A boards out there. But there are no socket A AT boards, and slot 1 and socket 370 AT boards are rare.

This is some interesting stuff. I missed that Tom's article, but I've got 2 HX boards and 2 TX boards sitting around that I got basicly for free. Maybe I can revive them and play a little bit.

how can you tell what kind of motherboard you have? I have a IBM Aptiva 2137-E24 that I bought in 1997. It came with a AMD 200MHz processor and has onboard sound, video, 3 pci slots and 4 isa slots (1 shared). could any one tell me what kind I have or how to figure it out? I look at the board and it didnt tell me what kind I have.

Ir's probably an IBM special, and they probably didn't include BIOS support for K6-2 unless they had a model that used the same board. For quick clues about whether it is likely to take a K6-2, take a look at the chipset.
i430HX maybe,
i430VX probably not
i430TX maybe,
Other than intel, I'd have to look around a bit.
Despite claims that the later CXT cores work on any board with K6-2 support even though they might be slower and need a TSR to turn on the advanced features, I've had boards refuse to POST until the bios is updated with the later chips, so you might only be able to get something like a K6-2-300 or 333 working on it.

The biggest problem you probably have though is the voltage, if you've only got core volts down to 2.8 then you're better off planning a whole system upgrade. If you've got 2.5 then usually they'll work on that, though you really should have 2.2-2.4 for full K6-2 support.

I think really you need to be taking your serial numbers down and looking roung the IBM site to find out anything about your motherboard.

regards,

Road Warrior

I've had my IBM Aptiva 2137-E24 with an Acer V58XA MoBo with a 200MHz AMD since I bought it at a Radio Shack in 1997. Never been able to overclock it though. Every time I try it won't boot at all. But I upgraded the ram to 192MB and gained a 20GB Master and 8.87GB slave drive, as well as a VooDoo 3 2000. It does play some of the new games well. For instance, I have Deus Ex. It says its minimum requirements are 400 some MHz. But it runs smooth as can be on my system. So they actually are good.

neeed a socket 7 board for k6 2

hey guys, maybe you can help me. i bought a k6 2 @500mhz to upgrade my girlfriends pc. but her pc only supports 66mhz bus. the thing is old. she doesn't whant to spend money on a new case. because this fall she wants to build a nicer pc and give the one she has now to her kids. so i need a socket 7 board that supports k6 2. but her case is not atx pormfactor. its old and i don,t know if it is AT or what form factor it is. the only jack on the back of the case is a port for the mouse and it uses a ps2 adaptor. everything else runs through cables to plates that mount in the expantion slots (openings neer the pci busses).

does any one know where i might be able to find a board like this?

Back