• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Air Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuckMaster

Registered
Anyone here ever took a mini fridge and gutted it and built a sealed computer with cold air blowing onto the cpu? would like some info on this if anyone has:D

saw something like that in PC mag once a long time ago. the only problem is condensation of watter on the boards if it gets to cold with short them out.

Not true...... if the boards are properly insulated and the fridge is kept at a constant low temperature- this would work better having a watercooler inside the fridge.......

i was under the impression that if the puter was totally sealed from out side ambient temps and if i put a wall between the puter and ac unit that the only condensation would be where the coil is and you could drain that with a tube. does this sound right. any ac wizards in here:D

He means you put a watter coolnigi n the comp instead and have the watter get cold by runing thru a rad that is in a fridge. Tho if you could seal the box good enough nd keep moisture out of it and have the whole tihng in a fridge it would work too.

thanks, i think im gonna do this im just trying to get all the info i can.:D

a fairly largew ice box could be converted. have it sit with the comp inside. it might be big enough for 2 rigs actualy
but try to ventelate it well and keep watter out! other than that it'll be one cold box. run watter coolingnside of that to boto adsyou god one COLD computer :)

yeah, what i really want to do is build a custom clear case with 2 diff compatments one for puter and one for cooling rig, and have it completly sealed

i need some more input on this if anyone want's to contribute, it would be appreciated very much , thanks :D

Ok first get the freezer or refrigerator of about the size you want THAN give us the inside and outside dimentions and I or osmeone else will provide you with some great ideas. :) Cant wait to see how this goes.

thanks again Intrepid, i kinda like that idea of the water block being cooled, i could take a mini ac sys and have the cold air blow onto the radiator for the water block:D . my brains starting to smoke, lol.:D

the cold air on the rad this doesnt work that well. but i saw a gaming rig at my networking grou once he just mounted his parts on the inside of a mini fridge he would keep pop in there with his puter. it was cool if he needed to changecd he just opened the door. i liked it and if you kept the fridge on the minimu temp like as low as it goes and never unplug or open it you could keep ur cdroms external to help with the never opening part. but anyway eveything would have alreadycondensed you could like not have to worry about that.i am prolly wrong but its worth a shot...

I had that idea a long time ago. Because I run two computers and two snake tanks in my room I can't get ambient temps cool enough to make water cooling worth while. After this year I will have an extra mini-fridge because I will be done with college. The plan is to buy a Lian-li tower and somehow refridgerate the inside. Screw condensation, I'm heading back to my old chemistry books to figure out temps and how to avoid it. I'm pretty sure though, that condensation happens when something really cold (a glass of water) goes below the environmental dew point temperature then the air around that thing condenses and water forms. So in theory, the only condensation to worry about is that on the coils which shouldn't be hard to keep from making everything else wet

I have a lian-li! they;re great cases! get the PC-61 or PC-70 depending on what you want. the PC-07 is junk, a stripped down version of the PC-61 or PC-70. I'll get some specs on a refrigeration unit and post em iwth a 3D immage later this evening after I get back from work.

i like the lain-li with the dual hot swap hard-drives in the front but i just ordered that lookalike its black has the plexi front same dimensions just one less drive bay. you know what i mean it has like 3 windoz. and hey why would you want to take cold air from the fridge and blow it on ur cpu think about all ur doing is expanding the amount of room the fridge has to cool. and ur adding a heat source it work be more efficient to take make the refridgerated area as small as possible. maybe even reduce the size of the mini fridge like cut 2 inches off the front and re atach the door!! you could drop a ton of cubic area that way. just another idea. ohh take the fridge apart and make a phase change block!!!more ideas time to rest.

Back