• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMIII Alert?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

I've tried EMIII on my Dell Optiplex PIII1.0 ghz (Win2k Pro) before and I've always had problems with it. I thought I'd try the newest version again and after I added a total of 7 boxes, I got this alert.

First I couldn't change the name of the different machines from Box 1, Box 2, etc to My PC, Accounting PC, etc. Now that I've deleted all the other boxes from EMIII, I get the Alert.

What does it mean?

em.jpg

naw I'd say its bugged. I cant even set it up
or maybe I'm an idiot.
but it doesnt like my pathing.

i dont use EMIII it gave me atleast one error on every frame and it slowed down my production sooooo much, this was a month a go i tried it (maybe less) and i was using the latest version, i dont think i will try it again for another few versions, but i really did like EMIII more than FM (which i am using now)

DManeKid said:
i dont use EMIII it gave me atleast one error on every frame and it slowed down my production sooooo much, this was a month a go i tried it (maybe less) and i was using the latest version, i dont think i will try it again for another few versions, but i really did like EMIII more than FM (which i am using now)

the error due to the bug with 24-hour clocks is gone, also it doesn't use up nearly as much of your cpu time, and doesn't hang up and take all of your cpu time like it used to on occasion...i'd say give it another chance

DManeKid said:

there have been several new revisions released in the last month.
check it out.

i find it is the best programme for monitoring F@H across a network.
when i tried that with fold monitor it kept getting confused by the different times on the clocks of the other computers, and returned wildy off the mark times.

I run EM III 24/7 usually monitoring 8 systems... rarely if ever does it crash and I don't remember the last time it did it has been so long.

I test the app on all versions of Windows and haven't seen any problems with any one of them.

Most problems with EM are "self inflicted" ones. :eek:

There is a "basic" setup to just get EM running and monitoring an instance of F@H. Read and use that first, then add the other features.

If you experience problems I'd suggest you make sure the following things are done:

Make sure you put a check in the box next to the "local" path above the box list.

Do not put a check in the following options check boxes:
Check for new EM III updates
Close Internet Connection when F@H Stops Downloading
Check My Stats at Stanford Automatically
Ignore Network Timeouts
Assume Internet Connection Exists

Sometimes on some systems using these features may cause a problem. Get EM set up for the "basics" before adding further options.

I've posted this info before. EM is downloaded from the web site between 50 and 200 times a day... if that many people had a problem I would certainly hear about it. ;) Doesn't mean you won't have one, but it does mean that if you do there may be something set wrong or something running on your system that interferes with EM... maybe Zone Alarm for one.

The WeatherMan said:
Most problems with EM are "self inflicted" ones. :eek:

PEBCAK. :D :p

i think pretty much every problem i've ever had with EMIII has been caused by something i did, or didn't do properly.

i just looked and i was using the version 1.8.4 (thats what it said in the "whats new" folder, i still have this in a zip file)

i just downloaded v1.9 and it seems just as good as usual

the only problems i've ever had with EM before have been:
1. It was trying to monitor my brothers computer which was swiched off at the time and it kept locking up. The solution was to untick "ignore network timeouts" (which i'd ticked because i thought it would help display the score) so if it doesn't find the other computers it gives up on those.

2. Which has actually just happened again while i've been typing is that everytime i update it i seem to have to open Zone Alarm and allow the new program access so it can check the score otherwise it freezes (even tho Zone Alarm isn't usually running).

go on - give it another try :cool:

Rich

I just d/led 1.9 and deleted everything except for the F@H files and reinstalled EMIII and it finally got rid of the ALERT message. :)

rich99million said:
i just downloaded v1.9 and it seems just as good as usual

go on - give it another try :cool:

Rich
yeah i guess i will, i like the oc skin it has anyway:) ill let you guys know how it handles me

chuckerants said:
I just d/led 1.9 and deleted everything except for the F@H files and reinstalled EMIII and it finally got rid of the ALERT message. :)
did unticking the bottom box on the options page not do the trick then? or was your old version from before weatherman added it?

Rich

DManeKid said:
ill let you guys know how it handles me
yeah EM can be a bit of a woman sometimes - i sometimes just have to hint at what i'd like her to do then take cover for a while till it calms down - but in the end she looks good and is worth the effort :D

Rich

edit: what were the different stages of folding addiction again? have you got any plans for a Foldaholics Anonymous group in the UK?

rich99million said:

edit: what were the different stages of folding addiction again? have you got any plans for a Foldaholics Anonymous group in the UK?
if i were you i wouldnt mention it over there...there plan is the "shootting method":D ;)

there's a 1.9? the 'check for updates' feature in 1.8.6 must be broken...i'm behind

okay, got 1.9 now...one small thing i've just noticed is if you right click the icon in the toolbar, and select 'options' from there, the dialog window comes up with just the titlebar showing at the bottom of the screen...you have to drag it into the middle of the screen manually.

Viper67857 said:
there's a 1.9? the 'check for updates' feature in 1.8.6 must be broken...i'm behind

okay, got 1.9 now...one small thing i've just noticed is if you right click the icon in the toolbar, and select 'options' from there, the dialog window comes up with just the titlebar showing at the bottom of the screen...you have to drag it into the middle of the screen manually.
yeah does that to me too! it wasnt do that the first time i did it!! (i dont think)

No one has ever reported this weirdness...
What screen resolution are you guys running at...
Also, where on the screen do you keep EM? ie bottom left corner, top right, etc.

Thanks, I'll look into this when I see your answers here. ;)

[edit] Nevermind... I see where the problem comes in... if you have EM minimized and open the options from the tray icon it will do that... cool, I'll fix that by the next update.

The WeatherMan said:
No one has ever reported this weirdness...
What screen resolution are you guys running at...
Also, where on the screen do you keep EM? ie bottom left corner, top right, etc.

Thanks, I'll look into this when I see your answers here. ;)

[edit] Nevermind... I see where the problem comes in... if you have EM minimized and open the options from the tray icon it will do that... cool, I'll fix that by the next update.
ahh, crap you figured it out before i posted it, i read the first half of your post then tried it then read the edit...oh well yeah thats when it happenes to me too

Back