• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7v... same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hellrazrblade

okay, here is my setup: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=948688

last night i was running around 47C folding, i left it folding all night. In order to sleep, i 7vmodded the cpu fan, the 120mm fan, and the front intake fan. i'm still folding right now and my temps are !!!47C!!! The ac is still at the same temp setting...

i am just now turning it back to 12v to see what happens...
i'm sitting at 45C folding the same protein i was folding last night... last night i got 47C...

what in the world happened?

Last edited:
when you lowered the voltage to the fan, the speed of the fan slowed down....

and as the fan speed slows, so does the amount of air coming out of the fan.

At 7V the fan runs slower, quiter, and pushes less air.....

Your temps rose becuase you we using less air to cool the heatsink.

um, yes, thats right... and thats why i'm baffled as to why i had the same temps with 12v and 7v...

maybe i wasnt being clear or something, but my temps were 47C 7v and 12v.

then i checked it out and my temps today are both 4C colder than yesterday, what caused a 4c drop in cpu temps in 12 hours in an air conditioned house thats the same temp all the time...

so the question now is what caused the drop in cpu temp in like 12hours...

It could be your ambient temps fell a few C at night and as such the cpu temp would have also. Room temp plays a big part in temps. Check out also the temp sensor and make sure its touching the bottom of the cpu. It may not be touching hardly at all. You just keep an eye out on room temps and such and that should help you find out why temps stayed the same.

Running a fan at higher RPM is no guarantee that the temps will go down. That's up to the design of the 'sink and how the air is moving through it, and even how the fan itself is designed.
You can drive a fan blade at faster and faster speeds, and eventually the airflow will start going down as the air on the blade will start to stall (like an airplane wing will).

There's also the iffy proposition of how your temps are measured. Thermisters suck totally and can't be trusted, even for temp changes inside the same setups. I'm not really sure why they're used at all, lawn darts and astrology are more accurate.

yeah, i guess it could be the thermistor, and its not much flux anyway. They're pretty dang good temps though, so im not complaining (especially w/ the 1.85v).
and yeah, the extra cfm and noise do only slightly better. its worth the 4C most of the time though!

thanks guys, ill consider this thread answered. :D

Back