• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800+ Unlocking Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brywalker

I have been having insane problems unlocking my XP 1800+. I am a very articulate person and am very good with my hands. I also have worked with things as small and smaller and have had no problems. I can't figure out the problem and I need some input.

I did the superglue and defogger method and when finished I can only get the 11.5 and 12.5/13 multipliers to work. 12 defaults to 11.5 speeds and everything 11 and under refuses to post.

I have done this *5* times and the same exact thing EVERY time.

I have an Abit AT7 and everything else seems to be in working order.

Any input would be great. I am doing a teardown/rebuild today and would like to try one last time....

Bry

Last edited:
If you didn't do a complete pit fill during your first attempt you will have problems forever since your conductive material is now shorting one of the bridges to ground. The only recourse is to make sure you do a thorough cleaning. By now you probably have damaged the substrate and may need to send it to a professional. They can do wonders with damaged substrates and are usually highly successful in unlocking them.

Heh, someone like me :) You should have seen ezikiel's chip, it had scratches and stuff that had to be filled up ever so gently.

The superglue method again! Man.

--Illah

What does articulate have to do with being good with your hands? ;)Anyway, try smoothing out the gap filler and make sure your other connections are okay. If your still having problems I would get the unlocking kit from www.highspeedpc.com , it was so easy to use and usually I am terrible with this kind of stuff.

brywalker said:
I have been having insane problems unlocking my XP 1800+. I did the superglue and defogger method and when finished I can only get the 11.5 and 12.5/13 multipliers to work. 12 defaults to 11.5 speeds and everything 11 and under refuses to post.
Bry

Data is puzzling...here's why....
1800 default = 11.5X = .5X Bit Value set HI, and 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X Bit Values all set LO.

Then getting 12.5X says mobo/bios was able to reset the 1X Bit Value to HI...cause 12.5X needs .5X and 1X HI. OK so far.

But then 12X resetting to 11.5X puzzles...
12X needs only 1X HI, which says that .5X could not be reset to LO (its L1 bridge still open??), AND 1X could not be reset to HI...which contradicts the 12.5X case above where 1X "was reset HI".

Then all NG under 11 further puzzles...we see no model for this. Is the mobo/bios contributing to this????

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Understanding Multiplier Code article to understand comments above, do your own fault decoding in the future.

But in conclusion agree with other posters to clean up all L1s down to the ground plane in the pits.
John C.

I am pretty much sure the unlocking is flawless. I made sure I cleaned the pits out everytime and started truely from scratch.

With getting the same results every time I think that it is a motherboard issue. There can really be no other logical explaination.

I will check out bios updates and keep you posted.

Bry

having the same problem.

I have been having the same problem. the difference being, I have been using nail polish as a gap filler and a silver conductive pen to bridge the gaps.

I want to varify something. in one of the stickys, there is a site that shows you what bridges to unlock. it show the first L1 as being open, so only 4 out 5 are bridged. is that right? or do you have to bridge them all?

EDIT: Oops. I was looking at the wrong chip. sorry all.

Back