Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

best 120mm fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 06:22 PM Thread Starter   #1
DamnFast

best 120mm fan

What is the best 120mm fan?
I'm tying to get one for my radiator (Cooling Cube from DangerDen) but it seems like Sunon with 108cfm is the strongest one I can find. Are there any other that can outperform this fan?
I have a Rheostat to control the noise so noise is no problem.
Thanks.
DamnFast is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-01, 06:39 PM   #2
ReNeG@dE

yeah there is a 131CFM from YS Tech (I think...) I know I saw it at http://www.2cooltek.com and the db's are only 0.5 higher than the 108CFM Sunon
ReNeG@dE is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-01, 08:24 PM   #3
fireball****aka fireball_87

what ever the one 3dfx cool has is close to if not the buest!
fireball****aka fireball_87 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-01, 09:00 PM   #4
OpenFriday

10 Year Badge

no im pretty sure your not going to find anything much better than the 131cfm ys tech....if your in need of a powerful fan thats actually not too bad for noise compared to some others go for it.....bust for gods sake get a fan guard....unless your not fond of your pets/limbs....that thing frightens me

Old 02-14-01, 10:31 PM   #5
Crispy

What's the quietest 120mm Fan? WIth Good airflow...?
Crispy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-01, 10:51 PM   #6
Sempei

Panaflo, Crispy, Panaflo. They have 4 models to choose from:
68.9cfm at 30db
86.5cfm at 35.5db
108.3cfm at 41.5db
114cfm at 45db (this one is not so good)
CaseETC.com has the 68.9cfm and 108.3cfm. I've been looking for the 86.5cfm but can't seem to find it.
Sempei is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-01, 11:25 PM   #7
Colin
Arctic Silver Senior

10 Year Badge

The 131CFM YS Tech is 5 db louder than the Sunon. I have two on my cooling Cube and two in my case. Boy do they wine! If you are going to use this fan, build a voltage control circuit using a LM317. I am seriously considering some Panaflows but will wait until we have some hot weather to see if I can get by with them. Also, have the fan pull the air through your Cooling Cube. This will avoid turbulence and be more efficient. If you are going to push the air through it, build a plenum chamber between the fan and the Cube.
Colin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-15-01, 04:24 AM   #8
earthdick

Sempei,
I think I found your Panaflo 86.5cfm/35.5db at www.digikey.com. The pdf file for it is
http://info.digikey.com/T011/V4/618-619.pdf.
They seem a little pricey, but it seems that they are more of a distributor than a direct seller. I took your advice and purchased a Panaflo 68.9cfm/30db from caseETC.com. Let's hope it holds up during the summer, or else I'll have to put my 120mm screamer back in the case. Thanks.
earthdick is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-15-01, 05:47 AM Thread Starter   #9
DamnFast

Ok, I did go ahead and placed an order for 2 * 120mm Panaflo fans(108.3cfm) from caseetc.com. They are actually cheaper than other fans. 14.99 each. I think 108cfm is more than enough to power the cooling cube.
Do you think I should just attatch one fan on the cooling cube(One for puuling the air out) or would it be better to have two? (One for intake and one for out) Does it make a big difference with 2 fans installed? If the difference is not noticable, than I might just go with one fan.

Well, thanks for all the info~
Old 02-15-01, 06:04 AM   #10
dimmreaper

10 Year Badge

I have a Nidec 112CFM model. It is made out of cast aluminum, it's very rigiedly constructed. The fan itself is quiet, but the fan motor makes an aweful hum. It works great at 5V or 7V, it works best at 12V with a rheostat though. I like it. It only has 3 fan blades, so it could easily chop a finger or two off!

Old 02-15-01, 06:51 AM Thread Starter   #11
DamnFast

Quote:
Jeff Evans (Feb 15, 2001 06:04 a.m.):
I have a Nidec 112CFM model. It is made out of cast aluminum, it's very rigiedly constructed. The fan itself is quiet, but the fan motor makes an aweful hum. It works great at 5V or 7V, it works best at 12V with a rheostat though. I like it. It only has 3 fan blades, so it could easily chop a finger or two off!
Seems like those aluminium fans are very dangerous...with only 3 blades....
I think I should keep my order of panaflos and I will be fine...I have ordered those fan grills as well...just for safety..
Old 02-15-01, 07:10 AM   #12
dimmreaper

10 Year Badge

Quote:
DamnFast (Feb 15, 2001 06:51 a.m.):
Quote:
Seems like those aluminium fans are very dangerous...with only 3 blades....
I think I should keep my order of panaflos and I will be fine...I have ordered those fan grills as well...just for safety..
I got a half-dozen of them at a computer show for $1 (come used out of old Xerox Photo-copiers, came with 2 grills a piece) , so I'm sure you can understand why I am so partial to them :-)

Old 02-15-01, 09:18 AM   #13
Colin
Arctic Silver Senior

10 Year Badge

Try just one fan pulling first. That's probably all you will need.
Colin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-16-01, 08:19 PM   #14
Slake

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Just don't let your DIMM Friend install any of these bad boys! :P

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
AMD X2 4800+ Toledo @ 2.4Ghz- IG Gskill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
MSI NX8800GTS 640 OC -Maxtor 160Gb - Lapped Arctic Cooling AC Pro 64 HSF
- Lapped NB Cooler
Coolernaster 850 watt Real Power ProPSU - Dremelized Lian Li PC-65/window (Lots-o-Airflow)
Slake is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-01, 02:44 AM   #15
Mr_Goat

Quote:
DamnFast (Feb 15, 2001 05:47 a.m.):
Ok, I did go ahead and placed an order for 2 * 120mm Panaflo fans(108.3cfm) from caseetc.com. They are actually cheaper than other fans. 14.99 each. I think 108cfm is more than enough to power the cooling cube.
Do you think I should just attatch one fan on the cooling cube(One for puuling the air out) or would it be better to have two? (One for intake and one for out) Does it make a big difference with 2 fans installed? If the difference is not noticable, than I might just go with one fan.

Well, thanks for all the info~
Oh, I didn't get to throw my 2 cents in ...anywayz, 3dCool sells a 120 135CFM thats 45db but since you already ordered bummer...

BTW, use one fan pulling air through the rad, i could babble about laminar and turbulent flow (probably would make my fluid mechanics professor happy), but i'll just say that case fans are designed in such a way that the air comming out right behind it isn't good for cooling a rad...

Note to self: This engineering $hit is actually paying off... :-)
Mr_Goat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-01, 02:48 AM   #16
Mr_Goat

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...put a FILTER on the intake side of your rad...negetively charged dust particles will clog it up...
Mr_Goat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-01, 03:23 AM Thread Starter   #17
DamnFast

Thanks for info~

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool