• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some mouse modding info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmigoThree

Could someone point me to a site that will tell me how to change the red LED in my Intellimous Explorer to a blue one (or any color because the instructions will be the same). Thanks in advance for any help.

actually i don't think you can just do any colour, i believe it affects performance. I think the red is best then comes blue or something but I am pretty sure that you can't just put any colour.

I was told that the optical sensor only detected a specific wavelength of light. Therefore switching out the LED would be tedious and useless. If blue is your color read my post HERE. I took a optical IBM nagivator with the glowing blue scroll wheel (very neat) and added some blue LED's. It was a pain but if I can do it anyone can... let me know if you have questions by posting on that thread

Yes but as I look at the bottom of my mouse it looks like there are 2 lights in there. The one red one that is the optical sensor and another in the back that just shows that power is coming to it. The one in the back would be the one I want to change.

hey take a REALLY close look at the first pic I took of my mouse. In the background you can see my intellimouse explorer. If your mouse is like that with the red plastic on the back then all you're going to do by inserting a blue LED is make your mouse emit PURPLE :) ;-)

EDIT: thats why I went out and bought the IBM mouse. Its actually more comfortable once you get used to it too. Now when I go back to my intellimouse its really uncomfortable...

Yea I will probably get a new mouse soon anyway because I will be getting another computer. So I will get that and give my intellimouse to my linux box that I will be getting.

Or maybe if I put something like a green in there I would look blueish. Ehh I dont know.

THe other nice thing about the IBM mouse is that if you don't like the blue scroll wheel, it is EXTREMELY easy to solder in a diff LED because its right on top of the pbc in the mouse, Very easy to get to and very easy to change. I stuck with blue so I didn't have to.

The ONLY bad thing about the IBM mouse (like I said in my article) is that its a b1tch to get apart and back together... well worth the effort though

Back