• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Teflon Tape?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi all,

I was just wondering, i see lots of mentions when securing a WC setup to use Teflon tape & hose clamps. The hose clamps make sense to me but I am not understanding where to use the teflon tape.

I understand where to use them when using pipe fittings, but are people suggesting to use teflon tape on the barbs?

I am getting a T fitting for my setup & aside from using teflon tape on the ehiem pump fittings, I am not sure where one would use them.

Any pointers would be great!

Rich

i used to do HVAC and i still mess with pipes. i would never touch that tape, it sucks for pipes.

as for your question, the tape is thin and soft so when you clamp down on the hose it would make a better seal. (i'm going on my expirence with plumbing, is this correct for WC?)

Hey, Teflon tape should be used on all parts of your system with threads, water flowing through hose barbs and stuff without teflon tape on them before you tighten them is just asking for leaks, even if they are super tight, threads aren't very water tight, it's cheap and it will keep your system safe, USE IT:).

zubster

teflon tape can hold a seal on my 3000psi nitrogen system for a paintball gun. it will do awesome for a few threaded things on a water cooling system. id say only use it on threaded things cause it is only made for threads and if you have trouble with a screw comin loose use locktite that **** is awesome too.

Teflon paste lasts alot longer but takes a few hours to set. but, i might not have put enough tape on when i tried it. either way, it's better then nothing.

bi1faohb.jpg

Where would you put Teflon tape on a t fitting?

I understand the need where there are threads, but what do you do when you dont have threads?

richklein said:
bi1faohb.jpg

Where would you put Teflon tape on a t fitting?

I understand the need where there are threads, but what do you do when you dont have threads?
Only use Teflon tape ON THREADS!!! No need to use on BARBS, just fittings that screw into a res, or the cap to a bleed tube etc. NOT ON BARBS!

if ur really paranoid put some silicone on it too... cuz one of my threads were so messed up the tape couldn't hold it :mad: but i'm just whining =P

Back