• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid win2K sp.3 causing problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john240sx

i updated to sp3 from sp2 today. huge mistake. keeps crashing, every time i restart or shut down i get a blue screen with different errors every time, i can't install anything. MS is really p'ing me off!

i tried to uninstall sp3 through add/remove programs but it wasn't in there (big surprise huh?) in a very short time this drive is getting formatted, again. maybe it's time for me to install XP...................nah, i'll stick to 2KPro for now.

so is sp2 still availble or do i have to scour the net to find it?

You can only uninstall the SP if you saved the uninstall info when it originally installed. It takes up about 100MB on your HD, so I usually avoid it.

I haven't had a problem w/ my SP3 upgrade. Maybe you should throttle back your CPU to stock and see if you still get errors.

it is at stock speed. that's the first thing i do when i start getting errors. i'll try to figure this out but i'm pretty sure it's sp3. i just reformatted a couple days ago so it wouldn't be a problem doing it again but i want to be sure i can get sp2 again.

Sp3 Installed 100% on the 2 machines I have it running on.

Seems every bit as stable to me.

How old is your OS installation?

I had one strange problem with SP3 when I first installed it: IIS got thoroughly hung up while booting. It took numerous reboots, and setting the service to disabled for a few of them to get it running right. No trouble since then for me :).

On an older, slower rig I had, both SP1 and 2 hosed the rig.
I ended up dealing with MS Tech Support, and much to my surprise, they were great: found the problem I had, and gave me the workaround.

It is an unfortunate fact that we have to deal with: there is so much hardware out there that incompatibilities will get by, no matter how thorough the testing is. You may have hit one.

There are a couple of steps I have learned that make SP installs go more smoothly...usually:
empty the recycle bin, defrag the hard drive and connect any/all removable devices (usb/scanner, etc) you need.

BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!! Image your drive, if you do that :)

Then install the Service Pack.

I fought with a few SPs back in the NT 4.0 days and that procedure seemed to help a lot.

Well, when I went to install SP3, I formatted my system first. Reason being, I had about 3 betas of SP3 installed, so I wanted the SP to go on a nice, clean system. Went on w/o any problems.

Were you running any beta SPs or anything like that?

Back