• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running tualatin with 1.8 volts, safe or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breez

Is it safe to run my Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz at 1.8 volts? I'm using Alpha PEP66 with Sunon fan for cooling. I'm asking because it isn't stable at 133MHz FSB (1733MHz core) with 1.75 volts. Asus P2B is the mobo and PSU is 300W Enlight.

edit: Okay, I checked the CPU Database and there was few processors running with 1.8 volts or more and almost all of them used aircooling like me.

Last edited:
breez said:
Is it safe to run my Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz at 1.8 volts? I'm using Alpha PEP66 with Sunon fan for cooling. I'm asking because it isn't stable at 133MHz FSB (1733MHz core) with 1.75 volts. Asus P2B is the mobo and PSU is 300W Enlight.
I'd recommend strongly against 1.8V. The absolute maximum voltage rating listed for tualatins in the datasheet is 1.75V. Above that voltage, immediate and permanent damage to the cpu is possible.
Experience shows that this doesn't harm the cpu instantly - but it certainly will have a negative effect to the lifetime of the cpu. How much will the lifetime be shortened? I've no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cpu would fail after only some months.
1.8V to a tualatin is similar to 2.2V for a coppermine - a voltage most people didn't dare to use on their coppermines (I certainly didn't...).

edit: Okay, I checked the CPU Database and there was few processors running with 1.8 volts or more and almost all of them used aircooling like me.
that doesn't prove anything - this only proves the cpu won't blow up instantly...

mczak

Yeah, I know about the Intels max voltage rating and that's why I was afraid to test it. Well, I tested it, but it didn't help a bit. Too bad I can't run this chip at 1733MHz because now I have to settle to 103FSB and 1339MHz. 112FSB isn't stable on my board. :( I upgraded from 633@791 Celeron and even with default clocks this tualatin is a hell of a lot faster :D

Well, you could run it at 133 fsb with 1.8 volts and burn it up and get a 1.1 that will almost certainly run at 133 fsb at stock voltage or just a little bit added. Before I bought my 1.1 I noticed that most peaple didnt have real good luck with the 1.3 tualatins and higher with a high OC. The last batch of Tualatins seem to have better results though.

Dunno wether this will help or not, but any voltage over 1.725 on my Tually is unstable, no matter the speed. Might wanna try bumping it down slightly if you haven't already done so. These tualatins (and Northwoods) are weird creatures when it comes to voltages.

My 1.2 runs stable at 133FSB with 1.79V but I stopped using that, as at 129FSB, it will run with 1.67V, which is much safer, will make the chip last longer, and 4MHz extra FSB isn't worth the risk.
I've decided to focus on the GFX card to improve performance.

I'm currently running at my Tualatin 1.1A at 1.7v on my CUSL2-C so I can run at 133 stable. I'm worried that I'm slowly frying the processor after reding about the SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome). Do anyone think there is such a thing as STDS (Sudden Tualatin Death Syndrome)?

This could be like computer AIDS...:(

Scary thought...

my tualatin has survived over half year... but I don't know what's the real voltage... I might have messed up wiring my adapter :)

I was suprised to see this thread up again.

Things have changed now. Changed my mobo to Abit BE6. See sig for the OC result :D

The Intel datasheets for the Celeron say the maximum you can run the Tualatin Celerons in 1.75v, so I guess I should be fine--Intel says so.:)

I won't run at 1.75 v. Do you do any stress testing when you are running that high? If so will if pass 3dmark or sandra stress? Mine will do 129 fsb, but is most stable only with a static wall paper background. Running 3dmark results in re-posting.

The reason I ask, if the rest of your computer is not stable, then there is no reason to run at high vcore and possibly weaken or damage the chip.

rayik said:
I won't run at 1.75 v. Do you do any stress testing when you are running that high? If so will if pass 3dmark or sandra stress? Mine will do 129 fsb, but is most stable only with a static wall paper background. Running 3dmark results in re-posting.

The reason I ask, if the rest of your computer is not stable, then there is no reason to run at high vcore and possibly weaken or damage the chip.

Who are you asking?

My system is now rock stable. I ran Prime95 torture test for 9 hours. With the old mobo I was only able to get 103 fsb or 133 fsb. Nothing else was available. So with good cooling (Alpha PEP66) I could've hit the 133 fsb if there was enough voltage. With this better mobo I have more fsb options to choose from and 124 is good for me. I was suprised my chip can run it at default voltage.

Back