• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high cpu temperature problem and fan advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tora

Tora said:
at first sorry about my english
i have a problem with high cpu temperature.
i have athlon xp 2000+ and ep-8k3ae board and coolermaster 7h53f (37.5 CFM @ 4800rpm) : cpu temp. is 67-72 (idle)

i think this fan is not enough to cool the cpu.
which fan do you prefer to cool athlon 2000+

Volcano 9:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

or

Millenium thermal solutions - glaciator II :

http://millennium-thermal.com/GlaciatorII-specsheet.html

or another fan.
i'd get the thermaltake. my friend has a thermaltake volcano 7 with the little green heat sensor clipped off and the wires soldered together and his cpu runs at like 32C max load.
i have a ax7 and i had a panaflo fan with it and it was overheating so i'm getting the thermaltake 9 fan and pulling the jumper off and i'm going to use it with my ax7. it's gonna rock.
but if i were you i'd just get the volcano 9

volcano 9

i want to use volcano 9 @ 4800 rpm.
do i need to buy thermaltake fan speed controller
anybody knows volcano 9's default rpm
it's important becouse i'm gonna buy

You might want to read Overclockers own review of the Volcano 9 - it's not the progression from 7+ the number implies and you might be disappointed if you are comparing it to the AX7.

As a package, I received it complete. The box contained both sensor and manual control.

conclusion

last question:

volcano 7+ w/ copper heatsink: 49CFM @ 6000rpm
or
volcano 9: 70 CFM @ 4800rpm

which one would you prefer for the best cooling (athlon 2000+)

The fan on my 9 runs 5,200 at full throtle but I can't live with it greater than 4,000!

If the 7+ now comes with the same clip as the 9, then that would be my choice else I would stretch my bugget and look elsewhere.

Back