• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCSI Problems with Win98 Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Init-0

Registered
Im having problems getting windows98 to install to my new scsi drive, i dont have any IDE drives in just the scsi.

The scsi is connected to an adaptec 29160 scsi addapter.

When i tried to install win98 the first time it just said you need to format the drive
so i formated the drive using the adaptec built in system utility.
Then i tried again but it said it couldnt write to C drive
Then i tried writing a fat32 file system onto it (using a partition magic rescue disk i had).
That failed with the same error message coming up.
Anyone have any ideas.
Ive been using a boot floppy to get me cdrom support and some basic utilitys (fdisk etc).
I just dunno what to do.

Any help?

Do you have a Win98 boot floppy? Have you tried doing Fdisk and formatting with it? If so, what happened then?

Have you checked the jumpers and termination on the drive? Is the HDD jumpered as ID 0? Does the Mini Configuration utility register the drive correctly and is it selected as the bootable drive?

I dunno ill check the jumper settings to see if there set up properly
i think i can find some information on the ibm website about it.

I managed to get Suse 7.3 to install cuase it has a boot floppy.
'Its set up a treat and even installed with smp support (its a dual proc pc, i was just using windows to set it up even though it has no dual proc support).
Linux seems to have installed alot better.
Once it was installed i hooked up the network cable
typed in my linux routers ip into routing, set up the network cards ip and bobs your relative
on the internet.
sometimes linux is a godsend :p

i think ill hold out and get windows 2000 instead of trying 98 again.

Thanks for any help anyway

Back