• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking my1900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skid

Could someone please explain to me in detail a simple way to unlock my Athlon XP 1900+? I've put it off for too long and its time to take that leap. Time to become a true overclocker. Turning up just the FSB is the sissy way to O/C. I'v finally come to grips with that fact.

:)

For some really good ideas... look at the top of this forum, about 4 messages above yours called "STICKY: ULTIMATE GUIDE TO UNLOCKING XPS. " that should help.

No, no, no that stuffs all so confusing everyone telling how they did it and links going here and there... Its a mess. I need a simple explanation from one or two people on how to do it easily...

My advice is dont bother.
I have not seen many true confirmations of unlocking the multiplier on the XP chips.
It is VERY small and it is VERY fiddly and the performance gain is low.Just look at the difference in the comparisons between a 1.9xp ans a 2.0xp. Its about 5%.And to be honest with air cooling anything much above that is risking your hardware.
This is just my opinion and I am sure there are a lot of guys who will argue.
I can tell you how to unlock it in black and white if you want but there is a point where we reach diminishing returns in this overclocking lark.
Nothing stresses my computer at the moment because there are no games out so I am a little reluctant to try overclocking again.

Richard: unlocking your processor can be extremely handy. Having a KT-333 doesn't give you much of a benefit unless you're running 166-166, instead of the stock 133-166. Unlocking is a great way to stay close to your normal processor speed and achieve higher and higher bus speeds.

I agree with your comments but do not wholeheartedly retract mine.
Unlocking your processor is a bold thing to do and I dont think anything at the moment justifies it.Games wise.
If you do SETI then I suppose it has benefeits.
Yes unlocking your processor does give you a peformance gain, though not much unless you want to get into putting a water pump into your tower. I just compare the incremental increase of core speed from one XP to another, ie 60mhz. Our man here can hope for a equivalent 2.0 XP or maybe a 2.1 XP and as benchamrks prove that is a gain of maybe 5-10% in real world terms.
Is that worth the £10 for the defogger (or £30 in my instance for a conductive pen), £40 for a better heatsink and fan and a fiver for some artic silver.
Apologies to anyone not from England, but my fiscal conversions are not too good.
:)
By the way what does AGOIA mean?

smear some regular thermal paste down into the laser locks, or vaseline, or something of that sort, then wipe off the bridges. take a conductive pen, put some of the material on a piece of plastic, then use a needle to pick up a little bit and individually connect the bridges. this doesnt take long at all, and from what i understand, this is a pretty easy way to do it...

Fletch wait,wait wait! Connect ALL the bridges?? L1 or what? just the ones like this:

0---0
0---0
0---0
0---0
0---0

You have to connect all the L1 bridges. they look like this:

0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0

They need to look like this:

0---0
0---0
0---0
0---0
0---0

Be damn sure the gap filler you use is non conductive. I recommend not useing as3. Look at the "thread dont use super glue" here in AMD CPU. That will give you some good advice. Good Luck.

cheap white TIM works well. and use conductive silver paint with a fine needle to dab it across the bridges if u got steady hand its easy as!!!

Back