• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Computers, One Monitor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Causality

I have a 19in monitor that I was trying to use with a kvm switch to my two computers. Unfortunately, I found out after I bought the 16 dollar switch that it is not designed for higher resolution svga, only vga. So I got shadows on everything in the display.

So I went out and bought a belkin extension cord to try and just use the monitor on one computer at a time without the cheapo kvm. Well, I still got shadows, with no kvm switch! I went to the belkin site and they say for 17in+ monitors I need to buy a $50 extension cord! AHHHH! What is the deal here? To use this monitor on two computers I will have to buy a high quality kvm switch (Belkin is $120) and then spend another $100+ on cords that won't give shadows???? I may as well buy a second monitor. Does anyone have any advice for running two computers on one monitor?

you could most likely build your own switch for the price of some wire, solder and a couple other cheap componets.

The next time you buy a monitor, look for one with two inputs. I hate KVMs. Everyone I have seen screwed up at high resolutions.

Yeah, I am having a hard time paying so much for a kvm that won't distort my image quality. I'm seriously considering getting an lcd to sit on my desk for my owkr computer and use my CRT for my gaming machine. $220 on a Belkin kvm and high quality cables or $350 on an lcd.... Hmmm :p

2 pc's one moniter

i've got a sony trinitron 420GS (19") and it came with 2 inputs. i'm sure you could pick one up for less than $350...

Back