• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help the New guy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Large_Duggan

Registered
Hey IM new but not really that new .......see ive been stalking u guys since the start of summer and saved up my money for a good system wich im building my self :)

Athlon 1900+
Volcano 7
MSI KT333 Ultra : Purchased
Chaintek Geforce 4 ti4200
2x 256 Pc2100

I was wondering about my case. seen at this link at newegg ..http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...12-05.JPG/11-182-012-06.JPG/11-182-012-07.JPG
I just noticed that the power supply says 2.03 (P4). The Kt3 Ultra fits perfectly in the case and the power supply plugs into the motherboard. Am I screwed in anyway....and if I am couldnt I just buy another power supply?

Second Question .... there are 2 sets of 4 wires at the front of my Pc case ...im thinking they are the Usb connects but im not sure. One says +D another says -D and another says ground and another says +5v.

Third question :) im getting the baybus to control my fans. How exactly do u install one of these? I understand the drilling but not how the fans are connected to the device.

Fourth Question .....How many fans is enough? im not planning on overclocking. I was thinking around 5 and thats includeing the bay fan for the Hard drive.... 2 in takes and 2 outakes for the rest...

Final Question ( I hope) at the bottem of the case is something that looks like a upside down subwoofer or a speaker and it has t unmarked wires comeing from it .... I think they go some where but I dont know where.

WELCOME TO THE FOURMS!

Nice set up =) why buy 2 256? just buy one stick of 512 =\ don't awnt to waste those 3 slots now do you?

1st: well that powersupply is pretty cheap... might want to upgrade to an antec or a enermax.. TTGI i heard was pretty good and its inexpensive. I have a generic one, but it seems like it is one of the better ones... =D

2nd: It might be USB plugs =\ im not sure either i ahve 2 usb in front of my case 2 not sure what it says, but there are 2 cables from the front through =P

3rd: Im not sure about this question, might be that you plug your fans in there and theres an other wiring going from there not sure not sure =(

4th: since your not overclocking that seems to be fine =)

Final question: does it have 4 pins i believe it is.... it says speaker on it? that goes to ur motherboard =\ is it the small speaker?

Well im just trying to help =)

thx for the large red warm welcome :)

as for that small thing that looks like a upside down speaker....I think thats exactly what it is....it says FOCA 8.00 something and it has 2 wires comeing form it one red and one black.... The MSI Kt333 Ultra Manual isn't very "Noobie Freindly"

Hello, and welcome ot the forums.

They've all given terrific advice. Here are a couple more pennies:

I have a TTGI power supply in my case (300W), and it seems to work pretty well. The fan in there is a bit noisier than it needs to be, though. (No wire-mesh fan guard for increased air turbulence, for example.)

EDIT: BTW, I think the power supply should be fine, even with the extra plugs. The ATX connector to the motherboard should be standard, and the other plugs will simply remain unused. They are auxilliary power connectors for the P4, as far as I understand it. (end of EDIT.)

You might consider modifying your fanbus designs (or pre-built ones) by getting 3-pin fan extension cables and cutting off their ends. That way, you can plug standard fans into the extension molex, which goes directly into the fanbus, rather than have to cut up any fan you ever buy for the system.

The 4-pin wires you describe sure sound like usb. I'm assuming that +/- D has the "D" for "data". But to be sure, you should follow those leads to the case and see what they're hooked up to. If it's a USB port, you're golden. Just make sure when you plug them into your motherboard headers that the mobo pinout is identical to the cables. (Some motherboards can vary, but you'll probably be okay.)

The wires you describe sound like the speaker's wires. (Like for system beeps.) Hopefully, your motherboard manual should have a description of what goes onto what headers. Also, hopefully the wires should be labeled, if nothing else with abbrieviations. If not, pick a wire and trace it up the case. Label each one according to speakers, hard disk drive light, system power light, reset, power on, etc.

I can certainly identify with you on that point -- I found the motherboard - case hookups to be the worst-documented and hardest connections of everything.

But if you take your time and double-check everything, I'm sure you'll do great!

Good luck, and have fun!! :) -- Paul

xvi3tsoljahx said:

Nice set up =) why buy 2 256? just buy one stick of 512 =\ don't awnt to waste those 3 slots now do you?

I would say that 2x256 would be better. The RAM will then be less densely packed. 512MB sticks are often Cas 2.5 where 256MB ones are cas2.

David

Codegen? They suck. Trust me I have 4 of their cases. While some look decent they are almost all the same internally. Dont bother to mod this case. Its not worth it. Especially when you can buy a good case for near the same price.

I had 2 Codegen 300w PSUs go bad on me. But I have had 2 250w PSUs run fine for well over a year without a hiccup.

And yes you are correct in your second question. That is a USB cable. USB runs of 5volts. It has 2 data wires and positive and negative power leads. :D

I dont think you will need many fans. Just mod for fans as you go. Keep reading for optimum fan placement.

have fun!

Back