• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cicotte

well am using an 1900xp @12x143 i also have an 1600xp i got for a good price off a buddy, i can only seem to get 143 fsb stable whith my 1900xp on an asus a7v266/e mother. now i never tried the 1600xp its just bin sitting here for a while but after reading all of the posts saying how good the 1600xp is it worth me puting it in and trying it.how do i know if i have a good 1600xp chip, can i go higher than 143 fsb whith a 1600xp even whith my pc2100 ram and my a7v266/e mother you advice whould be great and maybee ill rip out my 1900xp tonight.

What you want to find is the stepping of the chip (there are pics all over the place, so I'm not going to post another :) )

The best steppings are the agoia and aroia chips; a "y" as the first letter on the second (I think) line down from agoia/aroia is another good sign.

Those chips are almost always excellent overclocking chips- if you have one, be happy :) it should hit 1700 almost guaranteed, and 1800 is not uncommon.

There are a few around here that are at or near 2ghz with XP1600s....and volt mods and water cooling.

Take a look at the stepping- you could be in great shape.

I say do it either way: you gotta see what it'll do, right? :D

well thanks for input my 1600xp is an agkga 0137mpm hope its good ? your right im going to rip out my 1900xp right now and thow in the 1600 and get my feet wet.

unfortunatly no that is not good at all. sorry. you may be able to do 1600mhz with that but prolly around 1570mhz.

:( Sorry, man: agkga is not a good one.

But on the good side: I had one, and it hit 1.7ghz pretty easily; it was definitely a better chip than my XP1800.

One note: steppings are a fairly good indicator, but the are not a guarantee of a good/bad cpu.

I had a decent agkga, and I've heard of aroias that didn't do too well.

I still say try it and find out ;)

ok so whith my configuration i guss its not worth it. am running very stable @ 1717mhz.

You may as well try the xp1600 and see how far it will go.
If it doesn't o/c well, at least you tried.

1717MHz is pretty fast if you ask me.

hrm if i understand this correctly my mother only has 1/4 divisor so my max fsb would be 155 to keep the pci slots below 39mhz so than i would have to unlock the 1600 to get 1700 mhz or higher on my board.

having the PCI under 39Mhz isn't a rule etched in stone. it's an estimate of what a typical system can do. you might ba able to get it to 45Mhz without a problem, you'll never know until you try.

well, GOOD LUCK! ;)

well my results arent very good the most i got out of it was 1577 mhz 10.5x150 so out comes the 1600 and in go's the 1900xp well it was worth a try.

That's about normal for your stepping :( unfortunately.

I have had some bad steppings that I was able to pound into submission over time ;) , but it took a long time and a lot of tweaking to do it- and I still never got good results, just bearable ones.

Keep it for a spare, sell it, or find another mobo for it and built another rig- having a spare computer comes in handy now and then ;)

cicotte said:
well my results arent very good the most i got out of it was 1577 mhz 10.5x150 so out comes the 1600 and in go's the 1900xp well it was worth a try.
wat were ur temps?? if u up the vcore to say around 2.0 volts and ur temps are under 38 u should be able to push the chip to 1750 stable easy i had on that did 1800mhz with 2.14 vcore load tempsat 35.

only tried 1.85 have to do a volt mod to go higher temps were 45 loaded but thats the reading off the mother board sensor i here not to accurate.

Back