• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please! Tried Everything And Need Help! Problems With Bulding A Computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piscerfish

hello there, this will be one of the many post i make on this board for this same computer. Well the story is i bought a mobo and cpu combo from outpost, here is the one i bought http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3146500/, i put everything in my case and it doesnt work. Before we had the problem of nothing coming up on the monitor, but now we have a worse problem. the whole system doesnt get power. To make it get power you must take off the connection from the psu to the mobo and then reconnect it. Then it will turn on for a split second and shut off. Its really nerve racking. Ive never see an image from this computer and never been able to get into bios. I tried canceling out everything and singling out the problem. I was pretty sure it was the mobo or cpu so i ran over to my local fry's and bought a new mobo and cpu the same as the one i purchased from 0utpost dot com. i really am stuck on this. I tested the ram and psu in a different computer and everything works out. i tried to put in a different psu, ram and video card in many combonations but nothing. Please respond to help me! i need info fast! if you know anything or just have the leasest idea or expirence please reply now! THANKS! and im a newbie. :D

Well...We need some more info man. Tell use the make and model and any relevant information about the components that are going into this computer and then helping you will be MUCH easier and much better. Please do that then we can help.

ok i got a amd 1700+ xp (1.47 GHZ) SOCKET A, WITH A FIC AD11 SOCKET A MOBO, 3d prophet 4000xt 64mb, a enermax eg465p-fe 465w atx psu, maxtor 80gig hd 5400rpm, soundblaster 512k, linksys eathernet card, samsung 512 ddr ram, hi-val 24x cdrw, and some case mods including come extra fans (i have 5 total) with a blue cold cathode light. All in a Cheiftech case thats windowed. So far we tested everyhting so is it possible that the case is causing a problem?

Did you test the cpu in another board? I think that it's the chipset having a conflict w/ the XP.

Try hitting reset after you power up.

BRUNO

Last edited:
This may sound kind of elementry but here it goes.

When you plugged the Power, reset, HDD Light, Power LED in the motherboard were they oriented correctly? If the power or reset is backwards it could short the circuit therefor no turn on. I had that happen once...

Power supply set to 115V?

Any jumpers missing on the motherboard or misplaced?

Is the RAM seated all the way into the sockets? One machine I had wouldn't post because a stick of ram was a little out of the socket. then again the locking arm was broken off......

All your PCI cards in correctly. If so try moving them as far away from the AGP slot as possible or consult the mobo manual to not get any IRQ issues.

Hard Drive plugged in?...It would post without it in correctly or backwards....Just an idea....

Any junk in the ATX power connector socket or on the plug.....any foreign matter in there can really play hell with the power...Can of air?

try those see if that was any help....If not post again...

I have also seen mounting a mobo in the case wrong can short it out and cause it to act like its not recieveing any power. Also make sure you mounted your cpu correctly, far to often I hear about somebody mounting their heatsink improperly and frying their cpu.

changed a lot of the settings of the mobo (FSB, core volt, etc) but it still wont come up. please give more advice, thank you. (btw what i mean by wont come up is that the computer wont turn on and the fan's arent spinning.

Bad Power supply?? If everything is connected and you take the power cord out of the back of the power supply. Wait 30 seconds then plug back in...Your fans should jerk a little bit. If not It could be a bad Power supply unit. That isn't a rock hard way of testing...But has worked for me in the past.

That mobo is quite old and I think is the KT133 chipset (15 months) and without a bios revision I doubt it will work with the XP proc. Check the mobo manufacturers website for upgraded bios.

EDIT:Sorry I am totally wrong - but this mobo was around 15 months ago when I was upgrading and it was definitely KT133 so its unusual for them to carry forward the name.

Last edited:
this may sound patronising but don't take it that way.... have you switched the PSU on by the switch at the back?

Tiger said:
That mobo is quite old and I think is the KT133 chipset (15 months) and without a bios revision I doubt it will work with the XP proc. Check the mobo manufacturers website for upgraded bios.

EDIT:Sorry I am totally wrong - but this mobo was around 15 months ago when I was upgrading and it was definitely KT133 so its unusual for them to carry forward the name.

This motherboard is not a KT133 motherboard. It sports part of the KT133 chipset (the VIA 686B southbridge), but the northbridge is an AMD 761 unit. Now, Piscerfish, there are some things you'll need to know about this board.

This board came in a few different revisions. Only the newer revisions support the AthlonXP CPUs; the old ones were limited to the Spitfire Durons and Thunderbird Athlons. Check out FIC's website at www.fica.com to get some more info on whether or not your board supports the XP CPUs and how to tell. Cheers!

Krypt said:
I have also seen mounting a mobo in the case wrong can short it out and cause it to act like its not recieveing any power.
This is a possibility. Have you tried setting everything up outside the case to see if it'll work then? If it works that way then make sure you use plastic screw when you mount the board in the case, or at least have some kind of non-conductive washers on both the top side and bottom side of the screws.

eobard said:

This is a possibility. Have you tried setting everything up outside the case to see if it'll work then? If it works that way then make sure you use plastic screw when you mount the board in the case, or at least have some kind of non-conductive washers on both the top side and bottom side of the screws.

Wait, if you do that then the motherboard won't be properly grounded.. Shouldn't you be saying to use metal screws and not plastic ones?

The power cables have ground lines in them. I've found that some boards don't ground with the immediate area around the screw heads, they short out the board instead. I haven't had that problem myself since the 486 days but it is a possibility.

When you get it to turn on, does it shut off within a few seconds? Could it be possible the power button is sticking on instead of giving just the short contact it needs to start?

Just a thought.

Back