• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore. what is too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

travenwatts

i am not overclocked (i know, i am a chicken!) but my Vcore runs at 1.82 V. is that too high? shoudln't it be 1.75 or something like that? the reading is off of hardware doctor

To a point, voltage safety is related to heat as much as anything else- if your cpu temp is good, then the voltage is fine.

This holds true for minor voltage increases too: if you need to go from 1.75 to 1.85 to maintain stability, and your cpu temp (at 1.85) is 45c, then you a good to go :)

On the other side of the coin, if your cpu temp is 65c, and voltage is 1.75, your chip is in danger, and LOWERING voltage/speed is called for!

Voltage influences temps a lot.
By itself, with good temps, voltage doesn't really start to get dangerous until you hit 2v with AMD XP/TBird chips.

My rule of thumb is if you smell smoke the voltage is too high. Also voltage is relevant to how much youlike your CPU. My p3 700, ran as high as 2.4v while burning in! Unfortunately the highest Ican get so far withmy AMD boards is 1.9v with my KK266. Once I voltmod I will likely go past 2v on a regular basis :D

BTW rogerdugans hit it on the nose. Voltage reflects temps or viceversa. More heat, less voltage...

Back