• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File sharing on network is only one-way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mojomansam

Registered
Hey guys,

I have kind of an odd problem that has me stumped. My roommate and I are using a Linksys BEFSR41 to share a cable connection. It was pretty simple to setup and our internet's been great ever since. However, I encountered a problem when trying to share files between our computers. It seems that his computer is able to browse my shared directories and transfer files perfectly, but I'm unable to connect to his computer at all.

Both computers are running Windows XP Pro. The same domain name is being used and I've tried directly typing in the share (i.e. \\Roommate). Any suggestions?

Thanks...

what kind of error msgs do you get? I know on winxp, file and print sharing is installed and enabled by default. There are also a couple folders that are automatically shared. Maybe file and print sharing was deleted on one of the computers on accident. Also, make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup.

its strange that if u know how to configure 1 xp box to work but the other doesnt work.... If u fully understand how to configure the network then i will skip that process. But, if ur not quite sure plz let me know and i will walk through it.

since u know how to setup the network, i will assume perhaps 1 PC for some strange reason has the built in firewall enabled.
go to... START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS. select network adapter and go into properties. select ADVANCE TAB, and uncheck the firewall.

if that isnt ur problem plz give us more detail.

AZN

AZN said:
its strange that if u know how to configure 1 xp box to work but the other doesnt work.... If u fully understand how to configure the network then i will skip that process. But, if ur not quite sure plz let me know and i will walk through it.

since u know how to setup the network, i will assume perhaps 1 PC for some strange reason has the built in firewall enabled.
go to... START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS. select network adapter and go into properties. select ADVANCE TAB, and uncheck the firewall.

if that isnt ur problem plz give us more detail.

AZN

Agreed. Good step one AZN.

Step two: verify that on the machine that is not allowing access to shares that t shared folders have been created on the machine. That is other than the admin shares (C$, WINNT$, etc.).

Step three: verify that there is an account to be used for logging onto the machine from across the network.

Step four: verify that the account in step three has the right to access this machine from the network in Administration Tools|Local Security Policy.

Good luck. I'll be lurking.

It appears that I have outsmarted myself.

I solved the problem this morning. Apparently, the reason my roommate's computer could read mine is because on his I installed XP with all default packages. On mine, however, I was being the efficient overclocker and did a custom install that neglected certain networking components. TCP/IP and all the essentials were installed, but the Client for MS Networks was only partially there. I guess I just wanted to keep unnecessary items like QoS off and ended up trimming too much. Being able to network in Slackware Linux but not in WinXP is a little embarassing, eh? :)

Anyways, things work great now. I truly appreciate all the help!

mojomansam said:

I solved the problem this morning. Apparently, the reason my roommate's computer could read mine is because on his I installed XP with all default packages. On mine, however, I was being the efficient overclocker and did a custom install that neglected certain networking components. TCP/IP and all the essentials were installed, but the Client for MS Networks was only partially there. I guess I just wanted to keep unnecessary items like QoS off and ended up trimming too much. Being able to network in Slackware Linux but not in WinXP is a little embarassing, eh? :)

ive done that before. Its called being to smart for your own good.

AZN

mojomansam said:

like i said in the 1st post. You should've checked what i said, oh well. At least it's fixed. Good job.

Back