• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MEGA HOT or does MBM 5 fool me?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

Yo all,

I had good experience using the Titan D5-T HSF when I used a single XP1700, so I thought I´d just buy another one when going dual. But IT DOES NOT FIT without modding. So I did some modding and now it clamps into place. For thermal grease I am using the silver paste that came with the cooler.

I tried using the monitoring utility that came with the MSI board: PC health III, but it doesnt work(hangs). So I downloaded MBM 5. After some poking around I get readings from three different probes: Winbond 1,2 and 3. And what they show is really annoying: 38, 97 and 70 degress. And I´m talking celcius here!!! Verry very HOT!!! :mad:

Now could this be right? If I exit windows and enter BIOS tems are: 38/46/42 degrees. Note: I have lowered the Vcore 1.60 volts.

If it is right, I guess that the HSF´s isn´t making good contact with the CPU core?

I need a recommendation for a good HSF that will fit on this mobo.

regards,
Henry

If MBM was right and you had hit 97 celcius I would say your chip is fried.

Believe the BIOS. I had to use the temp offset in MBM to match my BIOS temps on my A7V333

Fried? Nooo...isn´t the die temperature 90 degrees?

I tried using different options in MBM; there are three different options for each probe, Still turns out the same though. The case temperature shown in MBM is the same as in the BIOS. The cpu temps are wastly higher, but I guess that the cpus are not under any kind of load while in BIOS. I turned on the BIOS warning system at 70 degrees, but it hasn´t been set off? Can´t tell how this warning is supposed to show, doesnt say in the manual.

regards,
Henry

Henry Rollins II said:
Fried? Nooo...isn´t the die temperature 90 degrees?

I tried using different options in MBM; there are three different options for each probe, Still turns out the same though. The case temperature shown in MBM is the same as in the BIOS. The cpu temps are wastly higher, but I guess that the cpus are not under any kind of load while in BIOS. I turned on the BIOS warning system at 70 degrees, but it hasn´t been set off? Can´t tell how this warning is supposed to show, doesnt say in the manual.

regards,
Henry

No, I was just pointing out that if MBM was right and you were hitting 97c then your chip would probably be dead by now, obviously it isnt so MBM is wrong. :)

There is an option in MBM to adjust the temp offset for each sensor. On one of my machines, BIOS temp was 45, Asus probe showed it as 45 and MBM was showing 55.

I used the manual offset option in MBM to subtract 10 degrees for the CPU sensor so it would show correctly.

In your BIOS, if you have your warning set to 70 then the machine just shuts off if the CPU hits that temp, at least it does on my 3 anyway.

TTFN, AL

Yea I think MBM by default is wrong...

I THINK i finally got mine working lastngiht... system info then click the little computer and do the temp dropdown menus to match the possible sensors.

But my sensor 1 is saying 63*C and if I remember correctly so do the others

But this didn't even twitch after I took the side off my case and stuck a boxfan right next to it.

My Soyo HW monitor was reporting 43-44*C idle... said the same thing after about 30 minutes of Flashpoint (as soon as the progra closed I opened the monitor and it was still reading about 44*C

I'll have to check the BIOS temp.. I set it to shutdown at 65*... but I think I'll lower it to like 50 or 45 and see if it shuts off when mbm hits the shutdown temp.

My only concern with doing this is.. if i set the shutdown temp too low in the bios... is there a chance it could hit the autoshutdown temp before I ever get tot he point where I could get back into the bios...

Like could I set it too low and it auto shutsdown almost instanly.. effectivly preventing me from getting back intot he bios cause it this shutdown temp before I get into the BIOS?

If I did screw it in this manner.. would clearing the CMOS reset the temp range so I could go in and reset it again?

Ok henry I use the Winbond 2N3904 2 , 3 sensors for cpu 1 and 2 and I use Winbond 1 for the system temps if I use the winbond diode for cpu 1 and 2 my temps are like 20c higher then the bios and if I use winbond diode 1 for system temps it reads a constent nice and toasty 127c :eek: . I want to hook up two compunurse temp probes to find some more accurate temps on the chips.

Last edited:
Lusankya said:
Yea I think MBM by default is wrong...

But my sensor 1 is saying 63*C and if I remember correctly so do the others

But this didn't even twitch after I took the side off my case and stuck a boxfan right next to it.

My Soyo HW monitor was reporting 43-44*C idle... said the same thing after about 30 minutes of Flashpoint (as soon as the progra closed I opened the monitor and it was still reading about 44*C

I'll have to check the BIOS temp.. I set it to shutdown at 65*... but I think I'll lower it to like 50 or 45 and see if it shuts off when mbm hits the shutdown temp.

My only concern with doing this is.. if i set the shutdown temp too low in the bios... is there a chance it could hit the autoshutdown temp before I ever get tot he point where I could get back into the bios...

Like could I set it too low and it auto shutsdown almost instanly.. effectivly preventing me from getting back intot he bios cause it this shutdown temp before I get into the BIOS?

If I did screw it in this manner.. would clearing the CMOS reset the temp range so I could go in and reset it again?

Check to see if MBM supports the sensors your MB is using.

I have one sensor on each of my machines that reports a constant number. One says 24 and the two others say 14.
I dont know what they are for, but they never change.

You could probably set your BIOS to shut off at a low temp. After mine cool down and I bootup again, it takes about 45 secs to a minute to hit 45c.....lotsa time to change it back. Resetting the CMOS would work in a pinch if I was having a slow day:)

I know it works in my TBird setup. It's my 3rd machine and it was using a junk heatsink and fan. My A/C broke when we had a heatwave about a month ago. It hit 44c in my apt one day and the cooler couldnt cut it and the machine cut out playing MP3's.

I turned it on again and went into bios and watched the temp climb to 65 and shut it off manually.

Went out and got the 7+ for The 1800+, so the volcano 7 went to the 1600+ and the Tbird got the Volcano 6cu+ and the cheapie is now a paperweight. Bought a new air conditioner too :)

yeah i was getting the 90c once.. but it was mbm, the settings in mbm...

ANyone with a Soyo Dragon PLat setup MBM correctly yet?

I need to get a dremmel on my lunch break so I can cut holes in the case.. I popped off the front panel and the only air holes for the front fan to pull through the plastic front is like 8, 1.5 mm slits..

I'm going to cut off the metal grill just in front of the fan but I don't want to start cutting up my plastic front panel w/o knowing just what I'm doing first (also bent one of the snapnut thinggys that holds the front on..but the other 3 are holding.. )

The rear of my case sucks, this thing has no space to mount extra fans. Perhaps I should get another new case instead of trying to screw with this one :(

I think I can get a 70mm fan (roughly the size of my previous heatsink fan *very conveniant* on the back but I'm gonna have to ghetto rig it. *wishes someone with experience could look over shoulder while this was happeneing*

MBM 5 on my computer shows the same as my bios for my cpu, but it says my case temp is 88C and my chipset temp is -12C (i wish):rolleyes:

Well what worries me is that the case temperature diode gives the exact same reading in MBM5 as in the BIOS. What I´m thinking is: how much could temperature differences between the idle and loaded CPU and How fast can temperatures change?

Could the CPU´s withstand a temperature of 100 degrees C for several hours?

Grr if I only had a reliable utility to monitor temps from within Windows :temper:

regards
Henry

Henry Rollins II said:
Well what worries me is that the case temperature diode gives the exact same reading in MBM5 as in the BIOS. What I´m thinking is: how much could temperature differences between the idle and loaded CPU and How fast can temperatures change?

Could the CPU´s withstand a temperature of 100 degrees C for several hours?

Grr if I only had a reliable utility to monitor temps from within Windows :temper:

regards
Henry

My Case Temp is the same in Bios as what MBM reports. I only had to subtract from the cpu temp.

You said your bios was reporting 38/46/42 for temps. Why would you ask if your Cpu could withstand 100c when you are getting nowhere near that?

Maximouse said:

My Case Temp is the same in Bios as what MBM reports. I only had to subtract from the cpu temp.

You said your bios was reporting 38/46/42 for temps. Why would you ask if your Cpu could withstand 100c when you are getting nowhere near that?

In BIOS there is no load whatsoever to the CPU. I cannot monitor the temps while the cpu is working, so I can´t tell what they are. My guess is that it is at least warmer than the BIOS will tell. ´But how warm? If the cpu withstands 100 degrees C it might actually be that warm. And it may also not last very long. Hence the question.

Subtract....? Eh :eh?:

regards,
Henry

jbslow said:
Ok henry I use the Winbond 2N3904 2 , 3 sensors for cpu 1 and 2 and I use Winbond 1 for the system temps if I use the winbond diode for cpu 1 and 2 my temps are like 20c higher then the bios and if I use winbond diode 1 for system temps it reads a constent nice and toasty 127c :eek: . I want to hook up two compunurse temp probes to find some more accurate temps on the chips.

Did you also experince problems with PC Alert 3?

regards,
Henry

What about this: If I put my finger at the base of the HSF of the cpu´s it would propably be very very warm for my little finger if the core is 70 resp 100 degrees right?!?

regards,
Henry

Henry Rollins II said:

In BIOS there is no load whatsoever to the CPU. I cannot monitor the temps while the cpu is working, so I can´t tell what they are. My guess is that it is at least warmer than the BIOS will tell. ´But how warm? If the cpu withstands 100 degrees C it might actually be that warm. And it may also not last very long. Hence the question.

Subtract....? Eh :eh?:

regards,
Henry

Use the difference in temps for Idle as a base. Check your Bios temp and then run Windoze and MBM and nothing else.

If MBM reports a 10 degree difference in Idle temps. Then the difference will be the same at load. Heres an example equation.

If MBM Idle Temp - 10c = Bios Idle temp
Then MBM Load Temp - 10c = Bios Load temp

Remember, MBM reads from the Bios temp during idle and load and the difference will be constant.

Last edited:
EDIT

I am stupid, forget this. MBM doesnt work correct with this board.
The PC ALErt 3 version I had was intended for single CPU use, although it says differently on the MSI website. Burried deep in the intsallation CD the server version can be found though. temps: 39/45/52 idle. A bit high, Im gonna increase case fan speed.

regards,
Henry

Last edited:
mbm5 should be wrong. higly probable that it is incompatible. at that high temperature, yr cpu is going to be fried

Back