• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No thanks to my IT department

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rokukan

My laptop from work is running Win 2000 Prof. I normally take it home and plug it in to my network at home. From my laptop I used to be able to access my home computers.

Now the IT dept has made a change to Windows 2000 and when I go to access my home computers I get the message - No logon servers available - now I am not able to access my computers from my laptop. I am not running any servers at home just 3 computers hooked up to a router that is hooked up to my dsl modem. I am still able to access the internet from my laptop via my home network and the laptop does "see" my home compters. I just can't access them.

The IT dept admits to this problem but does not have a solution, they also cannot tell me what they've done to the system that caused this.

Any need help will be greatly appreciated.

you don't have a server to authenticate your log on. When you log on instead of logging on to a domain, is there an option to log on just the local computer?? try that.

There was a program that I used a couple of years ago that allowed you to have more than one network settings and switch between them without rebooting.

Let me think...

Everyone here is going to tell you different ways to solve this problem. I am going to back up your IT department.

They have made this change for a reason. I know this, as I have done the same to all my laptops. People take them home and think they are their computers and hook them up to home internet connections and home networks. Then they bring them to work and try to infect my network with viruses.

Unless you have specific permission from your IT manager to change it, then dont. It's their laptop, and their property, and they are trying to defend their network.

Kingslayer said:
Everyone here is going to tell you different ways to solve this problem. I am going to back up your IT department.

They have made this change for a reason. I know this, as I have done the same to all my laptops. People take them home and think they are their computers and hook them up to home internet connections and home networks. Then they bring them to work and try to infect my network with viruses.

Unless you have specific permission from your IT manager to change it, then dont. It's their laptop, and their property, and they are trying to defend their network.

Ed Zachery. They made that change for a reason. Security.
You probably don't have administrator access correct?

While you could change all the settings, i'd just let it be. If you want to beable to access your files at home for work, ask your IT people about setting up your own VPN (virtual private network). My dad does the same so he doesn't have to take home his laptop. He leaves it docked at work, and uses a secure connection to talk to it over the net. He can pull all his files off then, when he needs to.

rokukan said:

The IT dept admits to this problem but does not have a solution, they also cannot tell me what they've done to the system that caused this.

Any need help will be greatly appreciated.

He did say that he asked his IT department, and if they didnt want him to touch the setting, they would have said so, but they said they don't know what's going on, so I don't think they did that on purpose................and so he can try to figure out what's wrong himself.

Then it comes down to two things.

1. Your IT department is staffed with total tools.
2. They're lying to you so you'll shut up and leave the settings alone.

I know how we are...my guess is #2.

Kingslayer said:

lol, my guess is #2 as well

I'm with Kingslayer, when you have an end user asking questions you don't want to answer there's two choices:

#1 "Not sure, but we're working on it." or
#2 Talk a whole bunch of techno babble so that they'll just walk away.

Either way you didn't have to fix a non-existant problem.

Wedo

Kingslayer said:

I'd have to second that. Keeping tenants in our building from screwing up the network is the biggest problem. Last week I had a guy complaining that he couldn't access irc and he wanted control of what ports we allow open. I told him he was dreaming.

Thanks for all the responses. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been posted to clarify the problem.

1. I do have administrator rights.

2. I am on win2000 prof and it allows three sets of networking settings. I am currently using one set for when I am at work and until the changes were made the second set for home.

3. My network setting at home were set with the help of the IT department, so yes they know what I am doing and they do not have a problem with it.

Back