• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still trying to decide...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

Couple days ago I posted a thread on wether different OSes affect an OC. Well, since I found out they do, I've been looking around at databases and trying to figure out what version of Windows to put on my new system (that should be bought and built soon).

One of the places I looked was VR-Zone P4 Database. What you'll notice is that what is said to be one of the crappiest Windows version ever is used on all the top o/ced machines there, ME. However, I have no intent on using WinME. *shudder*

So, since 98SE is similar to ME, I was trying to decide between 98SE, XP Pro, and Win2k, but I think it'd be best if I went with either XP Pro or Win2k, cause I'd like to use NTFS. I'm kind of being driven towards XP Pro right now on account of two reasons, the XP look (yeah I like it) and the fact that every machine on the Top 10 3dMark2001SE list is using XP, so that says something.

However, Win2k is said to be more stable, and right now there's a good chance that I might be able to get it free from a friend (legally). But there's also a chance that I might be able to get my Mom to get me a copy of XP Pro through her work at a lower cost than at NewEgg, which is $139 at the moment.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get XP Pro?

I absolutely dissagee with the statement that Win2k is more stable than XP.

And no, as long as you're staying with Microsoft there is no reason not to use XP.

XP/2k

If you change hardware frequently, XP could be a hassle.

I think both are incredibly stable. I also have consistently scored very well in 3dmark with win2k on an air-cooled rig. Personally I don't like the way XP looks (guess I prefer the classic look)and think it is overly bloated. Just my opinions. Either one would be a great OS. Having the NT kernel and memory management and NTFS file system are all very good reasons to get either 2k or XP.

Beware of Microsoft EULA's when getting any updates!!!!

Back