• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSl or cable???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PYROMANIAC

i've got a choice to make between 1.5mb down/128k up DSL or cox cable...was wondering if you have any opinions...i do not know how far away verizons central office is for the dsl..also what are the normal speeds for cable? i cant find it anywhere on cox's site.

It all depends. Service is different in every area. You might try to check out dslreports.com. You can put in your area code there and find out about different services around you.

Yup, might want to give Cox a call and see what their transmission rates are. I have DSL and they provide twice the bandwidth our cable company just came out with...at $10 less per month.

I've always preferred cable over DSL but no way was I going to go for what they were offering.

DSL and Cable have their relative advantages. Cable is often very fast when loads of people are using the cable line, whereas DSL is always fixed to one speed. Conversely, when cable slows down, DSL stays steady.

You must be within 3.5km of the DSL exchange to be able to use DSL, the closer the better.

jon: ill try that out right now in fact

david: yea i drove around college station for like an hour trying to find the verizon building...it was a no go to say the least

edit: if i went with dsl...what should my k/s be with the 128kb up..it seems kinda slow to me...but anything is faster than dialup..i finallyl get off dialup august 25th :)

There are several striking differences between cable and DSL.

Cable:

1.) Shared bandwidth with all of your neighbors.
2.) Unless use exercise some prudent security measures (i.e.: hardware router/firewall, or at the very minimum a software firewall if you insist on directly connecting to the cable), all of your neighbors can see you and the contents of you shared drives and folders. It is like walking down the street and looking in your neighbors windows ( no pun intended!).

DSL:

1.) All available bandwidth is yours and not shared.
2.) Maximum distance from the Central Office is 3 miles (wire miles that is ).
3.) Unless something changed recently those whose neighborhood is served by fiber-optic cable cannot obtain DSL service. *sniffle* I recently found this out to my dismay! :(

Win 98 or Win ME is a bad thing for direct connect to any network which is exposed to the outside world. Use an OS that has a security infra-structure, and keep up with the security update avalable from the manufacturer of the OS.

Above all, be vigilant!!!

1MBit = 128kbyte
512kbit = 64kbyte
256kbit = 32kbyte
128kbit = 16kbyte

These are theoretical maxiums, roughly 120, 60, 28, 14 probably.

think i found a good deal...just gotta see if its available..
its 1540/256 static IP from bellsouth for $49...that seem like a good deal?

Bellsouth=South Western Bell, right? SWB currently has 1500/128, Dynamic IP Address. Been pretty good so far.:)

In my area (Pittsburgh) a yr ago Cable SCREAMED past DSL. It seems as though Verizon is working out some kinks though, they're now on par with my ATTBI. Good luck on whichever you choose, I guaren-damn-tee that you'll never look back at 56k EVER again. :D

Road Runner offers 2500/768 in my area. 45$ month, free installation, free NIC card [ if u need it ].

I hit speed up to 2.58 stable down off peak hours and i hit like 2.3 down on high peak hours. Thier service and speed is really great since they actaully maintain the nodes and dont stick about 10,000 people on one node. Thier tech support is really awesome too.

it looks like my choices are quit limited for cable...i think the only thing im likely to be able to get is cox...and i havent heard good things...dsl i think is another story..1500/128 from verizon is available..but i dont like that upload speed 1 bit..with the 128 up what should my actualy upload speeds be?

PYROMANIAC said:
it looks like my choices are quit limited for cable...i think the only thing im likely to be able to get is cox...and i havent heard good things...dsl i think is another story..1500/128 from verizon is available..but i dont like that upload speed 1 bit..with the 128 up what should my actualy upload speeds be?
I've only got cable availaible to me thru Charter Communication's. My speed's are 768d and 128u. I pay $43.00 a month. The download I'm satisfied with. But the 128 upload's really suck's! I do a lot of file sharing and such and that upload speed is just way to slow for that.

Cable is going to be much more reliable and not nearly as flimsy.
Period.

If you can deal with disconnections, and it's cheaper, then DSL is the ticket. If not, avoid DSL like the plague.

There's something to be said when about thrice as many people prefer cable to DSL--it's easier to set up and with fewer hassles.

Now if you were to find an excellent deal on SDSL (perhaps a bit unrealisitic at $50/month?) I'd go with that. But that's kind of a retarded turkey situation.

Back