• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDRAM - any advantage anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aughtsix

I'm confused - RDRAM was said to have the advantage over SD or DDR because of the 400Mhz transfer rate, but now that the XMS3200 cas2 is available to us, at 400Mhz transfer rate, is there any advantage to using RDRAM?

Also, I'm thinking about getting a stick of Corsair XMS3200 cas2 512mb for the system I'm building. The motherboard that came with my barebones system is a Gigabyte G*81 (I forgot the second letter) that doesn't support anything more than PC2700, but I'm trying to look ahead to future upgradability - to a motherboard that will support the 3200. Is there going to be any problem with using too much RAM, or will it simply fall back to the mobo default speed...(which I think is 275)

Steve

If I understand it correctly at the moment PC800 RDRAM is still a bit faster than 400MHz DDR, but not by much anymore. OTOH DDR need high fsb speeds to break even with PC800RDRAM. For 400MHz (i.e. 200MHz FSB) DDR you will need a mobo with 1/5 PCI devider and 1/3 AGP devider - otherwise your peripherals will hold you back.

PC800 RDRAM runs high speed at stock (100MHz) and holds promise at higher - though not outrageous - FSBs. At 133FSB RDRAM runs at PC1066 and the newer sticks supposedly reach 150MHz FSB for effectively PC1200 speed (obviously 50% more than PC800 :) ) and possibly higher.

My key performance indicator is SETI, and my incling is to go with an RDRAM system since it appears that it enables pretty fast SETI times right in stock dell systems (l2GHz/400MHz systems take less than 3:20 per unit). This indicates to me that an overclocked RDRAM board should be able to dip into the 2:30 range.

The best DDR systems are currently hitting 2:45.

Yo

Back