• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oveclocking P3 800 to 1064

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whopper Jr

Hi, when i heard UT 2003 is coming out soon, i thought i had to overclcock to get the desired performance, so here are my system specs:
intel p3 800 socket processor
asus tusl2-c mobo
256mb ram
guilemot 3d prophet 2 geforce 2 gts

I have overclocked it to 920, and it's running pretty stable. But when i try to overclock to 960, it gives me windos registry errors, and 3dmark 2001 crashes. I increased the voltage to 1.70 and 1.75, and still same results. I heard somewhere that computers are less stable if the fsb is in the 120's, so i wanted to push it to 133, but i dont know what could happen. I have a volcano 7+ heatsink, and the cpu runs exactly at 40 c, even at 960 mhz. So i was wondering should i go to 1064, or should i get some ram sinks, or other cooling precautions. Is there anything else i could tweak other than my vid card that could increase performance? thanks. :beer:

i would try jumping it to 133.
if it is able to run at 133, all your other specs will drop back top defaults. my guess is the errors are caused by your PCI (which also controls your IDE) and your AGP being too far out of spec.

if it doesn't work, you should damage the proccessor. it will just refuse to boot. :D

But the only way it could damage the processor is if i overheated, right? and would this affect my ide, and pci cards? could it damage them?

If you jump to 133, the only thing you'll be overclocking is the processor. Everything else should be OK. I hope the voltage module on the TUSL2 can take it though, I know on the Abit ST6, you can't run a processor over 1.85V due to the fact it was made for Tualatins and not Coppermines. But give it a go and see how it does. The worst that will happen is that it won't boot and you'll have to clear the CMOS.

HEY!!! I HAVE THAT SAME CPU!!!

but i will get an abit st6 and good cooling (not wc, but good, trust me :D ). Maybe the bottleneck will be my pair of generic pc133 sdram sticks. So you mean that if i can crank the fsb up to 133MHz stable and below 50ºC it'l be fast and worthwhile???

Dont worry about frying a pIII because it will not happen. Thay dont get hot like a athlon If you want I can post a link to a nice test THG did a while back. I is pretty cool :cool: Did you know the 1.4 Athlon chip got to over 370*C when it fryed :mad: Burn Muhahaha

You'll need 40+ amps to the 3.3v line to accomplish this (133mhz), I believe. At one time I pushed a Soyo 6ba+100 (slot1 BX) to that level, but it was VERY difficult, not impossible. Soyo insisted the board would do it if a powerful psu (as described) were used.
Yep, went out and spent 200.00 on a psu and did it :D
Good luck to you ;)

Last edited:
I agree with the guys recommending 133Mhz FSB, but I can't help to slip in a small sermon: A P3 @ 1064Mhz won't exactly shine in UT2003. Overclocking will still give you a boost though.

cack01 said:

I'm willing to bet that the PIII has a few good days left in it.:) I hope......for my sake.

My old PC is a P3 800EB@1000... It runs fine and all, but I couldn't deny it was not up for the task in gaming. I used to play UT, and while the GF2 was whistling along without problem, the CPU limited my FPS to about 55 average in UTBench... that's 33 or so minimal fps.
Needless to say, in real-world online fragging, stuttering did occur. And even when gameplay is fluent, a part of your weapon's power is 'determined' by fps... after 1.5 years of playing I could tell the rise of fast machines was beginning to take its toll. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for ut2003. Just my .02$...

ok, i already have my abit st6, i have an antec 400w smartpower PSU (has got 2 fans) and 2 extra 80mm fans in the case, You say its too difficult to take it up to 1ghz?? what divider to use in order to compy with agp/pci speed when using a 112 FSB?

. Ill put a 30 cfm 60mm fan in a swiftech mcx370 heatsink. Im just curious, should i take up the fsb in the bios or with the dipswitches???

ive been surfing around the forums for 3 months but hey, theres still jitter when you are about to do the real thing hehehe :D

You never did say what kind of RAM you have.
Is it even PC133?
As Regestry errors happen more often than not when your RAM cant handle the speed you are trying to run it at.

Also do you know what stepping that 800E is?
As Intel did make cBo stepping P3 800's and they max out around 900-1000 MHz.
a cCo is what to hope for.... and even then it might be hard to hit 133FSB

if you dont know your stepping you can use CPU-Z to find out.
www.cpuid.com

PhobMX said:
ok, i already have my abit st6, i have an antec 400w smartpower PSU (has got 2 fans) and 2 extra 80mm fans in the case, You say its too difficult to take it up to 1ghz?? what divider to use in order to compy with agp/pci speed when using a 112 FSB?

. Ill put a 30 cfm 60mm fan in a swiftech mcx370 heatsink. Im just curious, should i take up the fsb in the bios or with the dipswitches???

ive been surfing around the forums for 3 months but hey, theres still jitter when you are about to do the real thing hehehe :D

No it's not so difficult so as to preclude even trying. You'll have to find out for yourself how high it will go.
Dividers are usually on auto, but if not, use the 1/4 to limit problems to your cpu alone (at 133, the pci will be in spec again).
BIOS adjustments allow finer speed grades and voltage adjustments. Jumpers sometimes mean no voltage adjustments, but in any case coarser fsb grades. The flipside is that jumpered modes are sometimes more stable... your mileage may vary...

blah, ill just get a plus 1Ghz p3, man this setup costs almost the same as a p4 one, but without memory lol, wtf, it would still be hell of a problem to return this mobo, besides it looks cool :)

You can do it man. I had my Celeron 800 running at 133 fsb for a year and a half. That was with stock voltage too. As far as the improvement goes, everything is much more responsive at 133 fsb as compared to 100 fsb. What kind of a hsf do you have? Do you have Arctic Silver between the hsf and the cpu? If no to the last two questions go to www.svcompucyle.com and order the goldengate hsf with a 80mm to 60mm adaptor and mount one of your 80mm fans to it. That there upgrade should be only around 20 bucks and will drop your temps significantly and possibly give you the edge that you need to get that cpu up to 1064. You are much more likely to get to 133 fsb than you are to try to run in the 120's fsb. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back