• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird results from an unlocked xp1800 AGOGA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerky

so me and my buddy unlocked his xp1800 agoga, with superglue in the valleys, and highspeedpc.com conductive grease "stuff" and the results were strange to say the least.

1. it was unlocked and we could set the multiplier to anything EXCEPT 10 and 10.5?? why? i have no clue.

2. when we set the multiplier to 12.5 it would register as a xp1700
3. when we set the multiplier to 12 it would register as an xp1800 (which is what it is anyway).
4. when we set the multiplier to 11.5 it would register as a xp1800
5. when we set the multiplier to 11 it would register as a xp1700
6. it would not register at 10 or 10.5 multiplier period.
7. when we set the multiplier to 9.5 it would register at 1000mhz
8. when we set the multiplier to 9.0 it would regiser as a 980mhz

and the bridges were absolutely perfect.

but the weirdest thing is, although it let us set it to all these different multipliers, it did not get any faster or slower and we couldn't raise the fsb any higer than 145 when it registered as a xp1700. it didn't really do anything except change the number of the processor at bootup.

does anyone know what we did wrong or what else we need to do.
we also raised the vcore up +5% and the the dram voltage up to 1.4 and 1.8

system specs are.
gigabyte ga-vrxp (ver 2.0)... it works perfectly
512/2100 ddr samsung ctl ram
xp1800 AGOGA stepping
radeon 8500le
thermaltake volcano 7 with the temperature senser clipped of and running fast with a temp of 40 -45 c

does anyone know wtf were doing wrong?

:confused: :beer: :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

i would have to say temps and ur vcore is wats holding u back. dunno abt the 145 bit thought try the lowest multis and up the fsb till its bottoms out. then raise multi and and slow add fsb till ut chps limit is reached.

i know with my agoga it would lock up at 145 fsb at 11.5 multis on air and vcore at 1.95 cos temps were rizing above 38ish but on water i manage to get it to 1867mhz at 162 fsb vcore 2.16

i dont think these chips oc very well. i going to try out a agoia soon and see how that goes

packratbob said:
i would have to say temps and ur vcore is wats holding u back. dunno abt the 145 bit thought try the lowest multis and up the fsb till its bottoms out. then raise multi and and slow add fsb till ut chps limit is reached.

i know with my agoga it would lock up at 145 fsb at 11.5 multis on air and vcore at 1.95 cos temps were rizing above 38ish but on water i manage to get it to 1867mhz at 162 fsb vcore 2.16

i dont think these chips oc very well. i going to try out a agoia soon and see how that goes
yeah, right after i posted this thread i called my bud and he said that he unlocked it (correctly) i guess he needed to scratch the dots on the end of each bridge the conductive thermal grease to make contact, (i think superglue was covering it).
so after he unlocked it correctly it went the opposite way...
9.5 multi - xp1400
10 multi = xp1500
10.5 multi = xp1600
11 = xp1700
11.5 = xp1800
12 = xp1900
12.5 = xp2000
and that's as high as his multipliers went (his ga-7vrxp has dipswitches :( )

but still whenever he ran the fsb up higher than 145 it crapped out on him, and the cpu was getting very hot on air. i think that, and the fact that if he ran the fsb to 145 on any multi (it's limit) it would not go higher no matter what he tried. so to me that is an indication his pc 2100 ram is holding him back, because he could run his cpu at the 12.5 multiplier and get a reading of an xp2000 and run the fsb to 140 and tested the ram with sandra and it was off tha charts! but if he lowered the multiplier to 10 or 11 he still couldnt reach the same mhz as he got when he set the multiplier to 12.5 as he couldn't go past 145 fsb.

so thanks for the reply. i'm gonna take my 512/2700 corsair xms over to his house and run it to see if we can get it higher, hopefully the temps wont hold it back... (probably will).
i'll try and post the results.

thanks agian.

:burn:

welp, wel got it to go up to 155, and then it crapped out. but he was running it last night and he overclockerd it more than the 2100 ram could handle (he was running it at 333 mhz) and it scrambled the data or something and crached his os! hahahaha!
OH THE MISERY OF REFORMATTING IS UPON HIM!
hehe.
:burn:

do u know on wat board he did that on. u got to give this steping a heck of a lot of vcore and cooling b4 u can get anywhere with it. also to high fsb on a board that has 1/4 dividers can also corrupt files' i know how he feels lol i reformated and installed os too many times to rememeber.

Jerky said:
so after he unlocked it correctly it went the opposite way...
9.5 multi - xp1400
10 multi = xp1500
10.5 multi = xp1600
11 = xp1700
11.5 = xp1800
12 = xp1900
12.5 = xp2000

Just to correct a possible misconception...you shouldn't have said "it went the other way"...should have said "all the Multipliers are OK now"....cause the Multipliers on the left match up with what we assume the bios is supposed to be recording. and it's perfect., as anyone would expect after correctly unlocking the L1 bridges.
John C.

Back