• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aghh Im Gonna Kill Myself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

I am so fed up with my new dualie, anyone wanna buy it?

I can´t get this computer to work like its supposed to. XP will not install on it (old problem), I have W2000 pro installed now with all the newest drivers and no conflicts. If I start any game it will hang or restart within 15 minutes. I ran SiSandra and all tests run fine and give expected results, apart form the cache&memory benchmark; it always restarts after running that test for a minute or so.

What is wrong?!? I hate this computer I wish I never bought it.

regards,
Henry

Have you been messing with the memory settings? Mine are on the auto settings just to be safe I had problems buring cd's with very aggressive memory settings.

As far as w2k and games diod you get the MS updates? They have some sort of gaming update I beleive and if you dont have sp1 well you need to go there.

Oh I got ALL windows updates. The memory is by SPD the only thing I changed is the ECC setting. I got an intresting error message while running WC3 just now: Fatal error, failure to read a certain memory adress.

regards,
Henry

try changing that ecc thing back.

What do you have 2 x 512 or 4 x 256 Crucial?

I would start looking for a bad stick try 1 then the others.

What's the spec. of your dualie??
I have Tyan Tiger 230T (Dual P3-S.... yes P3 is the best :D)
I can't finish WinXP installation until i update my bios...

jbslow said:
try changing that ecc thing back.

What do you have 2 x 512 or 4 x 256 Crucial?

I would start looking for a bad stick try 1 then the others.

It is 2 x 512. I was trying to run the memtest86 utility, but if I burn the ISO image file I get a BIN and a IMG file on the cd lol.

Ecc or non ecc makes no difference.

gonna start poking with the modules.

regards,
Henry

So I tested each module alone. And I am able to run Sandra cache&memory benchmark with both. Intresting results though, check it out:

Module 1:
SandraMOD1.jpg

Module 2:
SandraMOD2.jpg

It seems as the 1st module is slower or something. I bought both on ebay so no warranty :cry:

So now I am a mesely 512 Mb guy instead of a cool 1 gig guy. Hope this was it.

regards,
Henry

OK, I would say this is a memory problem. Take out the memory. Check your biggest memory module is in dimm one and then running down in size through out the dimm slots. If you have some canned air :)D), then spray some of it in the dimm slots. or just blow in it. Take a look at the little memory pins in the dimm slot and make sure they are all straight an none are bent.

If you have some contact cleaner then clean the bottom part of the DIMM module with it. If not give it a wipe with a soft dry clean cloth. While the power is out (you did pull the cord out the back of the PC before starting didn't you?) Do a BIOS reset.

Plug her back in and fire her up. If you are still having problems. Try taking some of the RAM out. If you are still having problems, go to best buy as they have a 14 day money back guarante. Buy some mem, take it home and test it. See if it fixes the problem or not. If it does, return the ram and buy some cheaper online. If it doesn't then return the ram anyway :D

This way you will elliminate your ram as the problem.

henry man, you're not having great luck, i feel for ya. i didn't wanna take chances with my crucial and bought direct from them. i've got a 512 stick of the ecc reg and plan on getting another too. but only from them. if it ever goes bad, or slow on me, i can use the wonderful lifetime warranty and return it.

Crucuial USA are wiling to replace the module even though I have no reciept! I hope Crucial Europe(them Im supposed to deal with) feel the same way.

regards,
Henry

Couldn't it be a mobo issue?
I have never gotten two sticks to work in any "newer" mobo.
Old comps though, work fine.

SBeaver said:
Couldn't it be a mobo issue?
I have never gotten two sticks to work in any "newer" mobo.
Old comps though, work fine.

LOL are you serious?!? No, I tested the modules and one of them isn´t working the way it should.

regards,
Henry

Henry Rollins II said:

LOL are you serious?!? No, I tested the modules and one of them isn´t working the way it should.

regards,
Henry

Just asking, my kt7a would get lockups and other wierd stuff when I used two sticks.
They both worked fine when used alone

SBeaver said:

Just asking, my kt7a would get lockups and other wierd stuff when I used two sticks.
They both worked fine when used alone

Try this: http://www.memtest86.com
I experienced the same thing with my modules, they worked fine separatley but extremely unstable when used toghther. I found out that one of the module has the same speed as a 200 Mhz module even though it is rated 266 Mhz.

regards,
Henry

probably a DUMB question but are you sure both sticks are registered ram? the slower stick could be the only one because from what i understand registered ram is slower. i have tried mixing reg and non reg and got the same results you're describing. just a thought. also have you tried updating the bios?

Can people please stop sending me stupid messages about buying parts of my computer. It doesn´t take that much of IQ to understand that it is not for sale, no?

regards,
Henry

Back