• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Temprature Specs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SgtRender

Well thanks to the good folks here I now know what kinda chip I have. Now I need to know what temprature should be my "worry" spot. Im using MBM 5 to keep an eye on things. But heck I dont know how hot its supposed to get or not.
Chip is a Northwood P4 1.6A .....Thanks In Advance. :burn:

Ok

Best I could find was a minimum 5 C and a max 75c for this chip, doesnt that seem a bit high?:burn:

The max seems about right, but it won't work at that temp. All CPUs are different, even if they are the same model, one can run a few degrees higher or vise versa when compared to a chip just like it.

I think for northwoods, anything in the low 40s is good at stock speeds, but they seem to put out tons of heat when their voltages are raised out of specs. I don't own a P4 so I can't give you any hard data or experiences, but from what I've seen if you keep it under 45C you should be fine and stable as long as nothing else on the board limits you. There were a few I saw in the data base at 60C but I would really try to keep in under 50C.

It is staying in the 50's with the stock HSF.
It's not enough to cook it, because the P4 will throttle back it's power to keep that from happening. I don't care what chip you have, from a P4 to an old K6, you have to keep it cool, and 50C should always be considered a high temp, even on air. Try to get it down, and you will see a lot more performance...

and welcome to the forums.

P4 Temps

I have three P4s and none of them will work properly above 45C/46C and upping the voltage only makes them run even hotter. There is a bit of variance between CPUs but as many have said, you have to keep it below 50C to be safe. I doubt that there are very many operating over 50C and 100% stable. These are, of course, the temps under full load.

I have seen from the experiance of man that 20C too 50C is the desired range for maximum efficiancy. the northy's have ben known not to like temps below 18C (se thread on SNDS[sudden northwood death syndrome])

i don't get it.

I got arctic silver 3 a volcano7+ and my cpu sits around 44 c, and around 53 under load.

Would u think that this is a high temp mind u that i haven't don't the vcore mod at only changed the voltage in BIOS to 1.525.

is this a hot chip?

The best operating temp. under full loads should be below 60C. Read P4-NW datasheet (section 2.10, page 27), "the maximum T-junction (the center of IHS) is 75C". So, P4-NW owners who experience of getting below 50C under full loads: Congratulations!! You have done your homework very well.

My P4 1.8A is 38C idle, 53C under full loads. geezz, ....

not quite on topic

I'm running two computers at the moment - the newer Gigabyte reads a particular Celeron and heatsink combo at 36 degrees
(just sitting in Win98) -- and the older QDI consistently reads 54 degrees for the same combo -- -- I take it that there is probably
a faulty sensor in the QDI --- or is there anything I could be doing wrong. I am booting both motherboards with default settings. ???

Back